Posted by Tracy on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 at 9:56am.
Find the centroid of the area bounded by the parabola y=4-x^2 and the x-axis
- Calculus please help - Damon, Tuesday, November 22, 2011 at 11:01am
domain from -2 to +2 but due to symmetry just do from 0 to 2
Area = int y dx = 4 x-x^3/3 from 0 to 2
= 8 -8/3 = 16/3
moment = (1/2)int y^2 dx
= (1/2) int[ 16-8x^2+x^4]
= (1/2) [ 16 x - 8 x^3/3 + x^5/5] 0 to 2
= (1/2)[32 -64/3 +32/5]
moment/area = 8.5333*3/16
- Calculus please help - Reiny, Tuesday, November 22, 2011 at 11:26am
In general, finding the centroid of a curved region can be a very messy question.
See this pdf page, with 2 examples at the beginning
Because of the symmetry of your equation, we know that the centroid has to be on the y-axis, as seen by your choices of answers.
It must be up the y-axis in such a way that the area above must be equal to the area below, or 1/2 the total area
total area = 2∫(4-x^2 ) dx from 0 to 2
= 2[ 4x - x^3/3] from 0 to 2
= 2[ 8 - 8/3 - 0] = 32/3
so 1/2 the area is 16/3
taking horizontal slices from y to 4
area = ∫(4-y)^.5 dy from y to 4
= [ (-2/3)(4-y)^(3/2) ] from y to 4
= [ (-2/3)(0)^(3/2) - (-2/3)(4-y)^(3/2) ] = 8/3 only considering the area in 1st quadrant
(2/3)(4-y)^(3/2) = 8/3
(4-y)^3/2 = 4
4 - y = 4^(2/3) = 2.5198
y = 1.48
ARGGG! , none of your choices, check my arithmetic
- Go with Damon's - Calculus please help - Reiny, Tuesday, November 22, 2011 at 11:28am
another senior moment for me.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus - Find the centroid of the area bounded by the parabola y = 4 - x^2 and...
- Parabola Ques - Find the point P on the parabola y^2 = 4ax such that area ...
- calculus - could some body please check this for me? 1. find the exact ...
- calculus - Find the coordinates of the centroid of the following volume of ...
- calculus - Find the area of the region bounded by the parabola y=x^2 , the ...
- Calculus (double check ) - Find the centroid of the area bonded by the parabola ...
- calculus - Find the specified coordinates of the centroid of the area bounded by...
- Calculus - Find the centroid of the region bounded by the curve sin x on the ...
- calculus help lttle question - find the area of the regin bounded by the graphs ...
- Calculus - Hi, I need someone to double check my answer because it doesn't seem ...