Posted by Mandy on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 at 8:04am.
The difference between two numbers is 9 and the product of the numbers is 162. Find the two numbers. Explain your working
- Mathematics - drwls, Tuesday, November 22, 2011 at 8:12am
Let x be the larger number
x*(x-9) = 162
Rearrange and factor
x^2 - 9x -162 = 0
(x+9)(x - 18) = 0
Take it from there.
There will be two pairs of solutions.
- Mathematics - Dr Russ, Tuesday, November 22, 2011 at 8:22am
so B=-18 or 9
correspondingly from AxB=162
A=-9 or 18
check against A-B=9
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- mathematics-Algebra - I think of two whole numbers;the product of the average of...
- math - the difference between the sum of the two numbers and the difference of ...
- math - Mr burr the head custodian is working on putting new numbers on 42 of the...
- Advanced Math - 1.Tasha believes that she can rewrite the difference 120-36 as a...
- Math - Difference between two numbers is 5 and the product is 6 find the numbers...
- Reiny! Reiny! Reiny! Answer Check and HW Help! - Translate to a system of ...
- Maths- Proof - The question is: Prove algebraically that the difference between ...
- Algebra - kaylin throws two dice. the difference in face value between the two ...
- algebra - Stacey throws two dice. The difference in face value between the two ...
- math-word problems with quadratics - I have 5 questions... 1) The sum of two ...