Posted by James on Monday, November 21, 2011 at 2:11pm.
Fan and Dan took part in a 1000 meter competition. When Fan was at the 800 meter mark, Dan was 300 meters away from the finish line. How many meters away from the finish line was Dan when Fan crossed the finish line?
- Math - Ms. Sue, Monday, November 21, 2011 at 2:18pm
- Math - Reiny, Monday, November 21, 2011 at 2:33pm
let the time at which was at the 800 m mark be t
then Fran's rate = 800/t
Dan's rate = 300/t
Let the time it took Fran to run the whole 1000 m be k
1000 = k(800/t)
k = 1000t/800
in that same time of k, distance covered by Dan was
D = k(300/t) , using Distance = rate x time
= (1000t/800)(300/t) = 375
so Dan is still 625 m from the finish line when Fran crosses.
- correction - Math - Reiny, Monday, November 21, 2011 at 3:28pm
I think I misread the question.
Dan was 300 m from the finish line, so he had gone 700 m, I took it that he went 300 m
so change all my 300's to 700
D = (1000t/800)(700/t) = 875
so he was 125 m from the finish line.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - You are a member of your high school track team and you specialize as a ...
- Math - Part of the stage decoration is a "fan" shape and is to be covered with a...
- math - In the 400 meter dash runners stay in their lanes the entire distance ...
- algebra 2 - 15 seconds after the buzzer, the teacher still has 135 meters to go ...
- Physics - during a race,a dragster is 200 meters from the finish line when ...
- Math - Bett, Cathy, Isabel, Lani and Ursua run an 800-meter race. Betty beat ...
- Math(algebra) - If you had to start and finish at the same line of a racetrack, ...
- Math - Bett, Cathy, Isabel, Lani and Ursula run an 800-meter race. Betty beat ...
- trig. - Jack and Jill ran a 400 meter race. Jill ran therace in 50 second and ...
- math - victor drives 300 meters up a hill that makes an angle of 13 degrees ...