Posted by Yoona on Sunday, November 20, 2011 at 2:33pm.
let f be the function defined by f(x)=3X^5 -5X^3 +2
a) on what interval is f increasing? b) on what interval is the graph of f concave upward?
c)Write the equation of each horizontal line tangent to the graph of f
- AP Calculus - Steve, Sunday, November 20, 2011 at 2:48pm
f is increasing when f' is positive
f' = 15x^4 - 15x^2 = 15x^2 (x^2-1)
So, f' > 0 when |x| > 1
f is concave upward when f'' is positive
f'' = 60x^3 - 30x = 30x(2x-1)
So, f'' > 0 when x < 0 or x > 1/2
Horizontal lines have slope=0. So, we want places where f'(x) = 0
15x^2 (x^2 - 1) = 0
x = -1, 0, 1
The horizontal lines are
evaluate f(x) at those points to get your lines.
- AP Calculous - Steve, Sunday, November 20, 2011 at 2:51pm
Oops. f'' = 30x(2x^2 - 1)
so -1/√2 < x < 0 or x > 1/√2
- AP Calculous - drwls, Sunday, November 20, 2011 at 2:52pm
a) That would be where the derivative
f'(x) = 15x^4 -15x^2 > 0
Since x^2 must be positive or zero,
(x+1)(x-1) > 0
x > 1 or x<-1
b) That would be where f"(x) > 0
c) Horizontal tangents would be where f'(x) = 0.
Find those x and y values.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus - The function g is defined for x>0 with g(1)=2, g'(x)=sin(x+1/x), ...
- Calculus - Let f be the function defined for x >or= to 0 with f(0)=5 and f', ...
- Calculus - 1. On what interval is the function f(x)=x^3-4x^2+5x concave upward? ...
- Please check my Calculus - 1. Given f(x)=-6/x, choose the correct statement A. ...
- Calculus - Functions? - #1. A cubic polynomial function f is defined by f(x) = ...
- Calculus - Let f be a twice-differentiable function defined on the interval -1.2...
- Calculus c - Let f be a twice-differentiable function defined on the interval -1...
- calculous - 3.Given the function f defined by f(x)=2x^3-3x^2-12x+20 a.Find the ...
- Calculus - Consider the following function f(x)=x^2/[x^2-9] f(x) is increasing ...
- Calculus(urgent please help) - Consider the following function f(x)=x^2/[x^2-9] ...