Posted by Cathy on Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 10:57am.
Romeo and Juliet;
Act 1 Scene 5
Now old desire doth in his death-bed lie,
and young affection gapes to be his heir;
That fair for which love groan'd for and would die,
With tender Juliet match'd is now not fair.
Now romeo is belov'd, and loves again,
Alike bewitched by the charm of looks;
But his foe suppos'd he must complain,
And she steal love's sweet bait from fearful hooks.
Being held a foe, he may not have access
To breathe such vows as lovers use to swear,
As she as much in love, her means much less
To meet her new-beloved any where:
But passion lends them power, time means, to meet,
Temp'ring extremities with extreme sweet.
Explain the meaning of this in modern english.
I really really need help on this :( please, anyone help mee? :)
- Ninth Grade English - SraJMcGin, Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 11:23am
If you know the story of Romeo and Juliet, you know that they are in love, BUT the families are keeping them apart. Now, what part do you not understand?
Try some of the following sites in modern English:
- Ninth Grade English - Writeacher, Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 12:16pm
Bookmark this website for this and all the other plays by Shakespeare you'll be assigned over time.
Find the play's title and then the act and scene you want. You'll find the original language in a column on the left and modern-day English on the right.
Let us know what you think.
- Ninth Grade English - Cathy, Sunday, November 20, 2011 at 1:52am
@Writeacher the part im looking for isnt there :(
@SraJMcGin i do understand their story, i just don't understand what the chorus is trying to say -___-
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- check english please.. romeo and juliet - Read this excerpt from the prologue to...
- Romeo and Juliet - What does scourge mean as it is used in the following lines ...
- English 9 - . Read the following line from Romeo’s monologue in Act II, Scene 2 ...
- Romeo and Juliet - In Act IV, Scene 1 of Romeo and Juliet, Paris tells Friar ...
- Romeo and Juliet (English Literature) - 1. To what heavenly body does Romeo ...
- English - what does sojourn mean as it is used in the following lines from Act V...
- Romeo and Juliet - Read the following line from Romeo's monologue in Act II, ...
- English - Read the following line from Act IV, Scene 5 of Romeo and Juliet, when...
- English - Please help me with these question about Romeo and Juliet!!! They ...
- English - In the personification of death in the final scene what is romeo ...