Posted by Cathy on Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 10:57am.
Romeo and Juliet;
Act 1 Scene 5
Now old desire doth in his death-bed lie,
and young affection gapes to be his heir;
That fair for which love groan'd for and would die,
With tender Juliet match'd is now not fair.
Now romeo is belov'd, and loves again,
Alike bewitched by the charm of looks;
But his foe suppos'd he must complain,
And she steal love's sweet bait from fearful hooks.
Being held a foe, he may not have access
To breathe such vows as lovers use to swear,
As she as much in love, her means much less
To meet her new-beloved any where:
But passion lends them power, time means, to meet,
Temp'ring extremities with extreme sweet.
Explain the meaning of this in modern english.
I really really need help on this :( please, anyone help mee? :)
- Ninth Grade English - SraJMcGin, Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 11:23am
If you know the story of Romeo and Juliet, you know that they are in love, BUT the families are keeping them apart. Now, what part do you not understand?
Try some of the following sites in modern English:
- Ninth Grade English - Writeacher, Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 12:16pm
Bookmark this website for this and all the other plays by Shakespeare you'll be assigned over time.
Find the play's title and then the act and scene you want. You'll find the original language in a column on the left and modern-day English on the right.
Let us know what you think.
- Ninth Grade English - Cathy, Sunday, November 20, 2011 at 1:52am
@Writeacher the part im looking for isnt there :(
@SraJMcGin i do understand their story, i just dont understand what the chorus is trying to say -___-
Answer this Question
- English 9 - . Read the following line from Romeo’s monologue in Act II, Scene 2 ...
- Romeo and Juliet (English Literature) - 1. To what heavenly body does Romeo ...
- English - 8. What can readers infer from the following quote from Act V, Scene ...
- English - Write an essay explaining why you think The Tragedy of Romeo and ...
- Romeo and Juliet (Check answers pplz hurry) - Could you please check these ...
- english - In Romeo and Juliet, what is the significance of the death of Paris in...
- English - Read the following line from Act IV, Scene 5 of Romeo and Juliet, when...
- Romeo and Juliet Help! - I understand this question but can't find it so can you...
- Literature - 'Translate the following passages from archaic language used in the...
- romeo and juliet - for my history project, I need to rewrite one scene from ...