Posted by robert on Thursday, November 17, 2011 at 11:13pm.
a trapezoid is a quadrilateral with (only) two sides (called bases) that are parallel. an isosceles trapezoid has two equal legs. the area of a trapezoid is
A=(1/2)*h*(b1+b2) where b1 and b2 are the two parallel bases and h is the altitude.
your problem: a water viaduct has a cross section that is an isosceles trapezoid. the area of the trapezoid varies as angle theta changes. you want to determine the angle theta that will maximize the amount of water this viaduct will conduct.
attempt at what it looks like:
\ | /
\81 h 81/
\ | /
first determine a trigonometric expression for the height-find the height in terms of angle theta.
find an expression for the length of the upper base in terms of angle theta.
find an expression for the area of the viaduct in terms of angle theta.
use 3rd grade alebra to simplify the expression for the area-i.e. combine terms; factor our common factors, etc.
now use calculus to find the angle that will maximize the area of the viaduct, and thus maximize the volume of water flowing through it.
calculus - Steve, Friday, November 18, 2011 at 1:28pm
The diagram didn't make it. I can figure that theta is the angle the side makes with the horizontal, but where does the 81 come in?
calculus - robert, Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 10:23am
dang it. well the diagram was what my teacher gave me to go by. the 81 is the diagonals on both sides, or that's the way its written on the sheet of paper. and 8 is the length of the base.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - the two parallel bases of a trapezoid are 5inches and 6 inches long. the ...
- geometry - The equal sides of an isosceles trapezoid each measure 5, and its ...
- geometry - the equal sides of an isosceles trapezoid eah measure 5, and its ...
- geometry - An isosceles trapezoid with that bases 16 in and 34 in are inscribed ...
- AP Calculus - The sum of the two bases and the altitude of a trapezoid is 16ft. ...
- Math - A trapezoid has parallel sides 13 and 21 cm long. The longer of the two ...
- Math - Prove algebraically that the line joining the midpoints of the ...
- geometry - An isosceles trapezoid has base angles equal to 45 and bases of ...
- Geometry - 1. What is the base and the height of the rectangle if the area is ...
- Geometry - What is the reason called when there are two legs on an isosceles ...