Posted by Andres on Thursday, November 17, 2011 at 12:04am.
The graphs of f(x) = x^3 and g(x) = 3X+5 have one intersection point. Determine the x-value for this intersection point using Newton's Method with an initial estimate of X1=2. You should use this method three times in order to obtain estimates X2, X3, and X4.
Calculus - Reiny, Thursday, November 17, 2011 at 12:32am
To find the intersection point, set
x^3 = 3x+5
x^3-3x-5 = 0
let y = x^3 - 3x -+ 5
dy/dx = 3x^2 - 3
newx = x - y/y' = x - (x^3 - 3x - 5)/(3x^2 - 3)
= (2x^3 + 5)/(3x^3-3)
Using my calculator
x1 = 21/9 = 2.333333
x2 = 2.28055555
x3 = 2.27902
x4 = 2.27902 --- correct to 5 decimal places !!!!
Calculus - No Name, Thursday, November 17, 2011 at 2:02pm
What is this newx and how did you get the equation that says x-y/y'
Calculus - Reiny, Friday, November 18, 2011 at 5:20pm
Your problem says to use Newton's Method
I stated the formula for Newton's Method.
Are you in over your head for this question?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- calculus - the graphs of f(x0=x^3 and g(x)=3x+5 have one intersection point. ...
- Math (Finite) - A calling card offers two methods of paying for a phone call. ...
- Math-Linear Systems - Determine the point of intersection. (a) y = 4x + 6 y = -x...
- calculus - Use Newton's method to solve the equation sec x = 4 in the interval x...
- Halfway solved-calc - So I'm trying to solve this problem but one thing I don't ...
- Anonymous - Give the exact intersection point for the equations f(x)=4sin^2x+...
- Calculus-Newton Method Approximation - Use Newton's method to approximate the ...
- Calculus 1 Newton's Method - Using Newton's method, approximate the root of the ...
- Calculus - Explain fully please and thank you! =) Determine the point of ...
- Math - Hello, can anyone help me with this one question? What are the two ...