What is an advantage in electing judges?
a. Judges are more responsive.
b. Judges are more independent.
c. Judges are more competent.
d. Judges are both more independent and more competent.
I would say D ?
Government US - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, November 16, 2011 at 11:03am
American Government POL 201 - ALWAYS RIGHT, Sunday, March 17, 2013 at 6:07pm
Question : When the President appoints a nominee to the Supreme Court, he mainly
Answer Considers the nominees ideological orientation
2. Question : Alexander Hamilton said that the judiciary would be the least dangerous branch of government because
Answer; it has neither the power of the purse nor the sword.
3. In Gibbons v. Ogden, the Supreme Court held that
Answer: states’ rights to regulate may not trample on powers specifically reserved for Congress.
4. Judges who practice what their critics call “judicial activism” argue that judges
Answer: have a responsibility to protect individual rights and liberties.
5. Article III of the Constitution establishes that
Answer: the judicial powers of the United States shall be vested in one Supreme Court.
6. In Texas v. Johnson, the Supreme Court ruled that burning the American flag was constitutionally protected speech because
Answer: it is symbolic speech protected by the First Amendment.
7. If the Supreme Court were to rule that gay marriage is a fundamental right, under the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment, that would mean
Answer: no state may distinguish between gay marriage and heterosexual marriage because that would effectively create invidious distinctions.
8. The various cases with regards to religious freedom are concerned with excessive entanglements between government and religion. This means
Answer: voucher systems like the one in Zelman v. Simmons-Harris created a constitutionally allowed choice between public and private schools.
9. Government entitlements or vouchers would most likely fall under the general category of
Answer: positive rights.
10. Gideon v. Wainwright overturned
Answer: Betts v. Brady.