Posted by Austin on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 at 6:26pm.
The largest town square in the world is Tiananmen Square in Beijing, China, covering 98 acres.
A. 1 sq mile is 640 acres. Assuming that the Tiananmen Square is a square, how many feet long is a side to the nearest foot?
B. To the nearest foot, what is the diagonal distance across the Tiananmen Square?
Alg 1 - Reiny, Tuesday, November 15, 2011 at 6:46pm
640 acres = 640/98 square miles or 6.5306 square miles
so each side is √6.5306 miles or 2.5555 miles
diagonal^2 = 2.5555^2 + 2.5555^2 = 13.06122
diagonal = √13.06122 = 3.614 miles
I will leave it up to you to convert the above miles into feet
BTW, the square would not be measured in feet, square miles or acres.
They would use metres, and hectares
China has been using the metric system for over 100 years.
Alg 1 - Steve, Wednesday, November 16, 2011 at 12:16am
Errr. Am I misreading something here?
98 acres = 98/640 = 0.153125 sq mi.
That's a square 0.3913 mi on a side.
That's 2066' on a side.
The diagonal is 2066√2 = 2922 ft.
Steve is right - Alg 1 - Reiny, Wednesday, November 16, 2011 at 10:04am
sorry about that, of course Steve is right
I divided the wrong way, had a "Rick Perry" moment.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- mathmatics - how much is one acre i cant find out and i want an exact answer ...
- algebra - The equation a = 640s gives the relationship between s square miles ...
- Calculus - Assume the world population will continue to grow exponentially with ...
- math - Please help I'm so confused!!!! 1. Which two square roots are used to ...
- Math - One hundred sixty acres is a square with a side length of one-half a mile...
- Math - The land area of Statesville, NC, is 20.5 square miles. If the entire US ...
- Math - Intro to Statistics (High School) - The average square footage in an ...
- Math - Julie is digging a square area in her backyard for a vegetable garden. If...
- Math plz help someone. - Which of the following is a possible measure of the ...
- Math - of the following is a possible measure of the area of a square rug? • 18 ...