Posted by Dell on Monday, November 14, 2011 at 9:12am.
A famous detective was called in to solve a baffling murder mystery. He determined there was only one cause of death along with the following facts:
a.Mr. Harold, the murdered man, was killed by a blow on the head with a brass candlestick.
b.Either his wife, Mrs. Harold, or a maid, Sara, was in the dining room at the time of the murder.
c.If the cook was in the kitchen at the time of the murder, then the butler killed Harold with a fatal dose of strychnine.
d.If his wife was in the dining room at the time of the murder, then the chauffeur killed Mr. Harold.
e.If the cook was not in the kitchen at the time of the murder, then Sara was not in the dining room when the murder was committed.
f.If Sara was in the dining room at the time the murder was committed, then the wine steward killed Mr. Harold.
Convert the statements to symbols making sure you define each letter that you use. If it is possible to deduce the identity of the murderer from the above facts, then do so and explain your reasoning. If not, explain why.
- Math - Steve, Tuesday, November 15, 2011 at 4:56am
A: candlestick killed
B: wife or Sara in DR
C: cook in kitchen ==> butler use strychnine
D: wife in DR ==> chauffeur killed
E: Sara in DR ==> cook in kitchen
F: Sara in DR ==> steward killed
~C (strychnine not used), so cook not in kitchen
so, ~E: Sara not in DR (so, also, ~F)
so, B: wife in DR
so, D: chauffeur
and A: with candlestick
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - A famous detective was called in to solve a baffling murder mystery. He ...
- logic - A famous detective was called in to solve a baffling murder mystery. He ...
- Geometry - Donovan Ell was killed on a lonely road 2 miles from Trenton at 3:30 ...
- Social Studies - Put these facts in your only words *Metacomet is an indian ...
- writing thesis - So, thanks for the help to those who answered my last question...
- statistics - Suppose that 62 percent of the people who are murdered actually ...
- 12th grade English - Can you check my essay, it is not done, but I want to see ...
- english - Can someone please edit my introductory paragraph? The topic is How ...
- English - Could you please check the following summary I tried to make shorter? ...
- algebra - A man (we'll refer to him as man 1) starts from his home at 8 A.M. and...