Posted by Monique on Friday, November 11, 2011 at 7:42pm.
calculate the hydronium ion concentration in 0.125M formic acid, HCHO2
Ka= 1.8 x 10-4
can you show me the steps pls
chemistry - DrBob222, Friday, November 11, 2011 at 7:59pm
...........HCOOH ==> H^+ + HCOO^-
The ICE chart is set up above.
Ka = 1.8E-4 = (H^+)(HCOO^-)/(HCOOH)
Substitute from the ICE chart and solve for (H^+).
chemistry - Monique, Friday, November 11, 2011 at 8:13pm
DrBob is the HCOOH---->H^++HCOO^ the HCHO2
chemistry - DrBob222, Friday, November 11, 2011 at 8:16pm
Yes. HCOOH is formic acid. The H on the right side comes from the -COOH or an organic molecule, called a carboxylic acid, and that can ionize.
chemistry - Monique, Saturday, November 12, 2011 at 2:25am
Ka=1.84 x 10-4= x x/ 0.125
(1.84 x 10-4)[0.125]
2.3 x 10-5= x = [H30]
lost which way do I go
chemistry - DrBob222, Saturday, November 12, 2011 at 4:45pm
Ka = (x)(x)/(0.125-x) = 1.84E-4
We make the problem a little easier to solve if we assume x is small and that 0.125-x = 0.125. Then
1.84E-4 = x^2/0.125
1.84E-4*0.125 = x^2
2.3E-5 = x^2
x = sqrt(2.3E-5) = 0.00480M = (H3O^+).
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- CHEMISTRY HELP!! - Formic acid (HCHO2) is a component of bee stings. It is a ...
- Chem - 81. Formic acid HCHO2, is a convenient source of small quantities of ...
- chemistry - Calculate the hydronium ion concentration and pH in a 0.037 M ...
- chemistry - what are the hydronium-ion and the hydroxide ion concentration of a ...
- Chemistry - 0.10 M solution of a weak monoprotic acid has a hydronium-ion ...
- Chemistry - The pH of a solution is 1. Which of the following statements are ...
- Chemistry - If aqueous hydrofluoric acid is reacted with sodium hydroxide, which...
- chemistry - The question: Formic acid when warmed with sulfuric acid, decomposes...
- Chemistry - A 0.10 M solution of a weak monoprotic acid has a hydronium-ion ...
- Chemistry - H20SO4(aq)-> 2H+(aq) + SO4 2- (a) Calculate the hydrogen ion ...