Posted by Dell on Friday, November 11, 2011 at 3:33am.
Four good friends, who love cats, have each named their cat after one of the other friends. Of the clues that follow, only one is true; the others are false. Which friend owns which cat?
a.Candy’s cat is named either Dody or Alice.
b.Betsy’s cat is named Alice.
c.Either the cat named Candy or the cat named Betsy is owned by Dody.
d.Neither the cat named Betsy nor the cat named Candy belongs to Alice.
e.The cat named Dody does not belong to Candy or Betsy
- math - Steve, Friday, November 11, 2011 at 11:28am
Clues, maybe slightly rearranged so they all read consistently:
C owns A or D
B owns A
D owns B or C
A owns D (not B or C)
C owns A or B; B owns A or C
Assuming the 1st clue is true, and all the others are false, we now have
C owns A or D
B owns C or D (not A)
D owns A (not B or C)
A owns B or C
B or C owns D
So, we see that
A owns B
B owns C
C owns D
D owns A
- math - Dell, Friday, November 11, 2011 at 11:50am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Four good friends, who love cats, have each named their cat after one of ...
- Biology - 10. In some cats the gene for tail length shows incomplete dominance. ...
- Math repost for Jake - math - jake, Friday, December 7, 2007 at 2:06pm How many ...
- math - in a group of 100 people, 40 own a cat, 25 own a dog and 15 own a cat and...
- math - In a group of 100 people 40 own a cat, 25 own a dog and 15 own a cat and...
- Math - Two cats are taking a walk. 1 cat runs off. three cats come back. 1 cat ...
- Maths - 24 cats line up for breakfast. the first cat eats one fish, the second ...
- Behavioral Science - A man has a dog, cat, and mouse on one side of the river. ...
- Math - Last will of an eccentric lady reads: I bequest $1000 less then one half ...
- WITC math - There is a bus with 7 girls inside, Each girl has 7 bags, Inside ...