Posted by rachel on Sunday, November 6, 2011 at 10:27pm.
water in a paper conical filter drips into a cup. let x denote the height of the water in the cup. if 10 in^3 of water are poured into the filter, find the relationship between dy/dt and dx/dt
so the paper filter is 4 inches tall
whith a radius of 2 inches. x is the height of the water in the cone.
the cup is 4 inches wide and y is the height of the water in the cup. please help! thanks(:
calculus - Steve, Monday, November 7, 2011 at 12:53pm
If the water in the filter is at depth x, with the surface of radius r,
x/r = 4/2 = 2
x = 2r
r = x/2
now, the volume of the water in the cup, plus that in the filter adds up to 10
cone: v = 1/3 pi r^2 x = pi/12 x^3
cup: v = pi r^2 y = 4pi y
pi/12 x^3 + 4pi y = 10
pi/4 x^2 dx/dt + 4pi dy/dt = 0
multiply by 4/pi to simplify a bit:
x^2 dx/dt + 16 dy/dt = 0
You can massage that into whatever form you need.
calculus - Anonymous, Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at 3:05pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- calculus - water is poured into a conical paper cup so that the height increases...
- Calculus(answer needed immediatly,thanks) - A paper cup has the shape of a cone...
- science - A test liquid has a density of 1.1 g/ml. When you pour some of it into...
- Physics - 7. A plastic cup, 15.0 cm in height, is filled to the rim with water. ...
- Chemistry - --------Materials--------- several black pens of different types 2.0...
- Science - Thanks for everything guys! This really helped! But I have another ...
- Calculus - If water is poured into a cup at a rate of 1 cubic centimeter per ...
- Chemistry - A Test Liquid Has A Density Of 1.1g/ml. When You Pour Some Of It ...
- math - Water is poured into a right circular cone with a height of 10 cm and ...
- MATHS STATISTICS - B. A soft-drink vending machine is supposed to pour 8 ounces ...