Posted by lola on Sunday, November 6, 2011 at 10:13pm.
a chamber contains 5.5 grams of hydrogen gas another chamber contains chlorine when the valve is opened the react to form hydrogen chloride with a mass 1995.5 grams. What is the mass of chlorine?
chemistry 11 - DrBob222, Sunday, November 6, 2011 at 11:10pm
moles HCl = 1995.5/molar mass HCl = ?
? moles HCl x molar mass HCl = grams HCl.
g HCl x (molar mass Cl2/2*molar mass HCl)= grams Cl2.
chemistry 11 - lola, Sunday, November 6, 2011 at 11:25pm
i don't really understand could you do it again pls and thanks. it was 199.5 my bad
chemistry 11 - lola, Sunday, November 6, 2011 at 11:26pm
for total mass
chemistry 11 - DrBob222, Monday, November 7, 2011 at 1:13am
H2 + Cl2 ==> 2HCl
The first post was the short way; however, I put an extra step that is not needed (but it didn't change the answer) and that may be what confused you. Here is a better way.
moles HCl produced = grams/molar mass = 199.5/36.5 = about 5.5 (but you do it more accurately).
Now use the coefficients in the balanced equation to convert moles HCl to moles Cl2.
5.5 moles HCl x (1 mol Cl2/2moles HCl) = 5.5 x (1/2) = 2.75 moles Cl2.
grams Cl2 = moles Cl2 x molar mass Cl2 = about 195 grams. Interesting.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- science - In the equation below, suppose 11 grams of Zinc (Zn) react with 12 ...
- chemistry - calculate the mass in grams of hydrogen chloride produced when 5.25 ...
- chemistry - Element Symbol Atomic Mass --------------------------------------- ...
- Chemistry - Assume that a reaction occurs in which unknown substances R and S ...
- chemistry - Hydrogen and chlorine react to yield hydrogen chloride: H2+ Cl2 ( ...
- Chemistry - Calculate the mass in grams of hydrgen chloride produced when 5.85 L...
- Chemistry - Compound A reacts with element B (a halogen) to form compounds C and...
- chemisrty - Consider the reaction between sodium metal and chlorine gas to form ...
- Chemistry. Please :( - 1. If 23.00 grams of carbon dioxide and 18.75 grams of ...
- Chemistry - Ok so I realize this is a lot of questions, but if someone could at ...