Posted by lost on Sunday, November 6, 2011 at 5:44pm.
The chief economist for Argus Corporation, a large appliance manufacturer, estimated the firm’s short- run cost function for vacuum cleaners using an average variable cost function of the form
AVC = a + bQ + cQ2
where AVC dollars per vacuum cleaner and Q number of vacuum cleaners produced each month. Total fixed cost each month is $180,000. The following results were obtained:
AVC R-SQUARE 0.7360 F-RATIO 39.428 P-VALUE ON F 0.0001
VARIABLE ESTimate error
INTERCEPT 191.93 54.65
a. Are the parameter estimates statistically significant at the 2 percent level of significance?
b. Do the results indicate that the average variable cost curve is U-shaped? How do you know?
c. If Argus Corporation produces 8,000 vacuum cleaners per month, what is the estimated average variable cost? Marginal cost? Total variable cost? Total cost?
d. Answer part c, assuming that Argus produces 10,000 vacuum cleaners monthly.
e. At what level of output will average variable cost be at a minimum? What is minimum average variable cost?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Managerial Econ 2 - 1)The chief economist for Argus Corporation, a large ...
- Economics- Help Please!!! - MC = 125 - 0.42Q + 0.0021Q^2 Given the estimated ...
- econ - The economist for the Grand Corporation has estimated the company’s cost...
- Economics - Consider the production function Q= 20K^(1/2)L^(1/2). The firm ...
- math - The total cost C(x) of a firm is C(x) = 0.0005x^3 – 0.7x^2 – 30x + 3,000...
- Business Economics - How do you generate the average variable function (AVC) ...
- economics - Teddy Bear, Inc., a rapidly growing manufacturer of high fashion ...
- Microeconomics - A perfectly competitive industry has a large number of ...
- Economics - 10. An industry currently has 100 firms, all of which have fixed ...
- MATHS - A company is a monopolist. The demand function for its product is as ...