Posted by Victor on Friday, November 4, 2011 at 6:19pm.
Directions: Revise the following sentences to eliminate unnecessary shifts in tense,
mood, voice, or person and number and between direct and indirect discourse. Most of
the items can e revised in more than one way. Examples:
• When a person goes to college, you face many new situations.
• Revised: When a person goes to college, he or she faces many new situations.
• Revised: When people go to college, they face many new situations.
1. The greed of the 1980s gave way to the occupational insecurity of the 1990s, which
in turn gives way to reinforced family ties in the early 2000s.
2. The building inspector suggested that we apply for a construction permit and that we
should check with his office again when the plans are complete.
3. She studied the package, wondered what could it be, and tore off the wrapping.
4. Suddenly, we heard an explosion of wings off to our right, and you could see a
hundred or more ducks lifting off from the water.
5. In my previous job, I sold the most advertising sports and was given a sales
6. A cloud of snow powder rose as skis and poles fly in every direction.
7. The flight attendant said, “Please turn off all electronic devices,” but that we could use
them again after takeoff.
8. Workers with computer skills were in great demand, and a programmer could almost
name their salary.
9. When in Florence, be sure to see the cityʼs famed cathedral, and many tourists also
visit Michelangeloʼs statue David.
10.The aroma, which wafts through the house, lured the adults from their beds.
Answer this Question
English - Question 7 Some used car salesmen twist the truth. Be careful when ...
English - Revise the following sentences to eliminate unnecessary shifts in ...
English - Question 8 If one smokes cigarettes, you run the risk of getting lung ...
English - Can someone please check my answers? 1)Passive voice adds directness ...
English - If one smokes cigarettes, you run the risk of getting lung cancer. ...
English - The wind was howling and blowing a hundred miles an hour when suddenly...
english - help me please!!!!! The manner in which action is presented indicates ...
English - 1.Having studied small engine repair in night school, fixing the lawn ...
College English - I have been pouring over this all day and would appreciate if...
English - Can anyone help me with these. I need to eliminate unnecessary shifts ...
For Further Reading