Posted by Anju on Thursday, November 3, 2011 at 12:57pm.
Consider the curve defined by y4= y2- x2. At what ordered pair (x,y) is the line 4x√3-4y=1 tangent to the curve y4= y2- x2?
Maths - Steve, Thursday, November 3, 2011 at 6:11pm
y^4 = y^2 - x^2
The line 4√3 x - 4y = 1 has slope √3
So, we want y'=√3
4y^3 y' = 2yy' - 2x
y' = -2x/(4y^3 - 2y)
y' = x/(y - 2y^3)
x/(y - 2y^3) = √3
x = √3(y - 2y^3)
√(y^2 - y^4) = √3(y-2y^3)
y^2 - y^4 = 3(y^2 - 4y^4 + 4y^6)
12y^6 - 11y^4 + 2y^2 = 0
y^2 = 2/3 or 1/4
x^2 = 2/9 or 3/64
If you graph it, you will see that at the points
(.47,.50) and (-.22,.81) the tangent is parallel to the given line.
Maths - Anonymous, Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 11:50pm
x + 4y > -5, 4x + y < 2
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - In this problem we consider drawing some straight lines which form a nice...
- calculus - Consider the curve defined by 2y^3+6X^2(y)- 12x^2 +6y=1 . a. Show ...
- math - consider the curve defined by the equation y=a(x^2)+bx+c. Take a point(h,...
- Calculus - Please help this is due tomorrow and I don't know how to Ive missed a...
- calculus - Given the curve defined by the equation y=cos^2(x) + sqrt(2)* sin(x) ...
- maths - Find the equation of the curve through (4,2) whose tangent (for x > 0...
- AP AB Calculus - Linear approximation: Consider the curve defined by -8x^2 + 5xy...
- Calc. - sketch the curve using the parametric equation to plot the points. use ...
- Maths - I need some help with my maths questions please! What angle does the ...
- Calculus AB - Could someone please help me with these tangent line problems? 1) ...