Posted by Monique on Wednesday, November 2, 2011 at 2:47pm.
If im given mass percent and mass solvent how do I find mass solute and mass solution.
example: Mass percent = 3.8% and Mass solvent 45.8 g.
Find mass solute and mass solution
- chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, November 2, 2011 at 3:09pm
You can do it one of two ways but both are mathematically the same.
Let X = mass solute.
(X)/(X+45.8) = 0.038 and solve for X.
X = solute and
X+45.8 = mass soln.
The other way is just as easy.
3.80% w/w means 3.80g solute/100 g soln = 3.80g/(3.80+96.2)
Since you have 45.8 g solvent, then
3.80 x (45.8/96.3) = 1.809g solute (I know that's too many significant figures).
You can check that.
[1.809/(1.809+45.8)]*100 = 3.80%
mass soln = 1.809+45.8 = ?
- chemistry - Monique, Wednesday, November 2, 2011 at 4:03pm
where did you get the 96.2
- chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, November 2, 2011 at 7:04pm
A 3.80% w/w solution means 3.80 g solute in 100 g soln. The 100 g solution consists of 3.80 g solute and water(solvent) so the solvent must be 100-3.80 = 96.2g.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - thank you for any help possible. Given a Mass Percent 13.3% and a ...
- Chemistry - 1) The molecular mass of a substance was determined by the freezing ...
- chemistry - The molecular mass of a substance was determined by the freezing ...
- chemistry - Which of the following can be determined if the boiling-point ...
- ap chem - a solution is prepared by dissolving 4.87 g of sodium dichromate in 25...
- Science - A solution is prepared by dissolving 15grams of table salt in 70grams ...
- Chemistry(Please check) - 1) The molecular mass of a substance was determined ...
- Chemistry(Please check) - 1) The molecular mass of a substance was determined by...
- Chemistry - Did I do this correctly or do I need to try again? What is the mass ...
- College Chemistry - Complete the following table for aqueous solutions of ...