Posted by Henry2 on Tuesday, November 1, 2011 at 7:08pm.
I still have a few doubts on the use of infinitive and gerund. I hope you can check these sentences, too.
1)It took a lot of time for Jane to arrive.(is it wrong to say "It took Jane a lot of time to arrive?")
2) Why not go to the theatre, instead?
(Is it the same as: Why don't we go to the theatre..?)
3) I found my sister reading my diary. (Is "find" always followed by the gerund')
4) On passing by his bedroom I saw him studying. (Does it mean "When I passed by...?)
5) Why don't you try eating less? You might feel better.
He proposed (he meant, he intended) to rent a car, but then he changed his mind.
6) I hope to have finished this book by next week. (Is it the same as "I hope I'll finish this book..)
7) Having missed the bus, he arrived to school quite late. (= As/since he had missed the bus,....)
8) I'm worried about Brian's/Brian working so hard. I don't mind his/him going out after dinner. (Both possible??)
9) They encouraged/recommended/proposed/advised/suggested taking the motorway. (all possible?)
The don't allow/permit playing in the park.
- English - Writeacher, Tuesday, November 1, 2011 at 8:01pm
1. Either phrasing works fine.
2. Both are fine, but they are not exactly alike in meaning.
3. Not always.
4. Yes, they both mean the same thing.
5-7 and 9. All variations are fine.
8. ... Brian's working... (Brian working is incorrect)
Answer this Question
English - I still have a few doubts on sentences you checked yesterday. 1) I did...
English - Thank you. I still have a few doubts. So both sentences are correct: 1...
English - I still have a few more doubts. 1) Thank you for being so quick in ...
English - I still have a few doubts on the use of to/at/in after have been. ...
English - I still have a few more doubts. Could you check the following phrases ...
English - I have a few more doubts. Thank you. 1) I keep fit by doing exercise ...
English - I still have a few doubts. Thank you very much for helping me. 1) I'm ...
Business Communication - Which way of asking for action carries the highest ...
English - I still have a few doubts. I hope you can have a look at them, too 1)...
English - I still have some doubts and a few sentences to check I can't ...