Posted by Fredrick E. on Tuesday, November 1, 2011 at 2:35pm.
find all points on the curve x^2y^2+xy=2 where the slope of the tangent line is -1
I know that you have to find the derivative when it equals -1
(i don't know if it is correct or not)
but i don't know how to go from here. any help would be good
- calculus - bobpursley, Tuesday, November 1, 2011 at 3:21pm
try changing variables. let z=xy in the origianal equation, solve for z
z=1 or -2 or z is a constant.
Then z=xy or
y=-x and xy=-1 or 1
x=sqrt2, y=-x =-sqrt2
check: original line 4-2=2 checks.
check: originalline 1=1=2 checks.
PointB: x=sqrt2, y=-sqrt2
- calculus - Anonymous, Tuesday, November 1, 2011 at 6:44pm
Can you explain using implicit differention?
- calculus - bobpursley, Tuesday, November 1, 2011 at 10:07pm
No, I tried it that way, it bogged down in a third degree equation after I substituted, so I gave up that way.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- calculus - find all points on the curve x^2y^2+xy=2 where the slope of the ...
- Calculus - Tangent Line - Hi, im having problems with the following problem. The...
- calculus - Find all points on the curve x^2y^2+xy=2 where the slope of tangent ...
- Calculus - Consider the curve y^2+xy+x^2=15. What is dy/dx? Find the two points ...
- Calculus - Consider the curve given by y^2 = 2+xy (a) show that dy/dx= y/(2y-x...
- Calculus - I have a two part question that pertains to a curve (r(x)) and its ...
- 12th Grade Calculus - 1. a.) Find an equation for the line perpendicular to the ...
- calculus - 1. Given the curve a. Find an expression for the slope of the curve ...
- Ap Calc AB - Find the equation of the line tangent to the curve at (5, -3) (x-2...
- calculus - 1. Which of the following expressions is the definition of the ...