Posted by Ferdinand on Sunday, October 30, 2011 at 3:11pm.
Which of the following electron configurations correspond to an excited state? Identify the atoms and write the ground-state electron configuration where appropriate. If the configuration is a noble gas, enter the noble gas in brackets, for example [Ne] for F -. If the configuration given corresponds to a ground state electron configuration, say: "ground state"
(a) 1s2 2s2 3p1
(b) 1s2 2s2 2p6
(c) 1s2 2s2 2p4 3s1
(d) [Ar]4s2 3d5 4p1
How many unpaired electrons are present in each of these species?
(a) 1s2 2s2 3p1?
(b) 1s2 2s2 2p6?
(c) 1s2 2s2 2p4 3s1?
(d) [Ar]4s2 3d5 4p1?
- AP Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, October 30, 2011 at 4:14pm
The ground states are
1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d10 4s2 4p6 etc. If a higher level is filled BEFORE all of the lower levels are filled that makes it an excited atom.
a) is an excited B atom. The ground state is
1s2 2s2 2p1
b)I think the problem is a little confusing. b) could be F^- or ground state of Ne. Ground state if F^- is
1s2 2s2 2p5
Ground state if Ne is [Ne]
- AP Chemistry - Ferdinand, Sunday, October 30, 2011 at 7:38pm
great thanks and for the second part i can look at the orbital diagrams' arrows right?
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - Write the ground state electron configurations of the following ions...
- chemistry - Identify the neutral element represented by this excited-state ...
- Chemistry - Metals lose electrons under certain conditions to attain a noble-gas...
- Chem - Draw a Structural Formulae for Hydrogen Cyanide (HCN) and Cyanogen (C2N2 ...
- Chemistry - Count the electrons. HCN I see 10. NCCN I see 18. What noble gas has...
- chemistry - state noble gas whose electron configuration is attained in a lewis ...
- Chemistry - What is the electron configuration called that has 18 electrons in ...
- Chemistry - Ag+2 is generated in a lab. This is an unusual oxidation state for ...
- Chemistry - Use these answers for questions 4 - 7. (A) 1s2 2s22p5 3s23p5 (B) 1s2...
- physics - what is the electron configuration in the Noble Gas configuration?