Posted by herry on Saturday, October 29, 2011 at 6:51pm.
you can make an open box from a piece of flat cardboard. First cut congruent squares from the four corners of the cardboard. Then fold and tape the sides. let x equal the side of each congruent squares as x increases so does the depth of the box the useable area of the cardboard decreases as x increases, and so do the length and width of the box. what happens to the volume of the box? does it increase or deacreas as x increases? would the answer both suprise you? what size square should you cut from the corners to maximize the volume of your box?What are the dimensions of the box in centimeters?
- algebra 2 - Damon, Saturday, October 29, 2011 at 7:18pm
length of bottom = L-2x
width of bottom = W -2x
v = x (L-2x)(W-2x)
= x(LW-2Wx-2Lx +4x^2)
= LW x -2Wx^2 -2Lx^2 +4x^3
This is a cubic polynomial and will have maxima and minima. Just looking at it the volume would be huge as x got huge because of the x^3. However x can not be bigger than W/2 in practice so it is not that simple.
Using calculus to find max or min:
dv/dx = LW -4Wx-4Lx + 12 x^2
that is 0 at a max or min
12 x^2 -4(L+W)x + LW = 0
for a given L and W, solve that quadratic for x of min or max
for example for a square sheet of 10 cm on a side
12 x^2 -4(20) + 100 = 0
3 x^2 -20 + 25 = 0
x = [20 +/- sqrt (400 -300) ]/6
x = [20 +/-10]/6
x = 30/6 or 10/6
30/6 is 5 which is half the width so zero volume
so 10/6 is what we have, 1 2/3 deep
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus - A box with an open top is to be made from a square piece of cardboard...
- Engineering - A box with an open top is to be made from a square piece of ...
- Math - An open-topped box can be created by cutting congruent squares from each ...
- optimal dimensions - Applications of derivatives You are planning to make an ...
- math - An open topped box can be created by cutting congruent squares from each ...
- Calculus - A square sheet of cardboard with a side 16 inches is used to make an ...
- calculus - You are planning to make an open-top box from an 12 in by 12 in piece...
- calculus - 7. A cardboard box manufacturer wishes to make open boxes from ...
- math - A cardboard box manufacturer wishes to make open boxes from rectangular ...
- math grade 12 - A open-topped box can be created by cutting congruent squares ...