Posted by lissa on Friday, October 28, 2011 at 7:19am.
A swimming pool has two identical sides in the shape of a trapezium.
All other sides are rectangular.
The length of the pool is 12m.
The width of the pool is 4m.
The depth of the pool is 2.1m at the deep end and 1.1m at the shallow end.
Rafa fills the pool up with water from a hosepipe.
The surface of the water is to be 10cm from the top of the pool.
Rafa turns on the hosepipe at09 00 on Monday and water fills at a rate of 200ml per second.
When the pool is full, Rafa turns of the tap. At what time wil this be?
Show your working out.
- maths - Reiny, Friday, October 28, 2011 at 9:20am
I visualize two trapezoids as the side walls and rectangles as the end walls.
Volume = area of side wall x width
= 12 ((1.1 + 2.1)/2) ( 4) = 76.8 m^3
= 76.8(1000) L
= 76800 L
200 ml/sec = .2 L/sec
so time taken = 76800/.2 seconds
= 384000 seconds
= 6400 minutes
= 106.6667 hours or 4.44444.. days
= 4 days, 10 hours , 40 minutes
I will let you compute the time he turns off the tap
- maths - anonymous, Saturday, March 19, 2016 at 7:28am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - A rectangular pool's depth is 1m at the shallow end and gradually ...
- math - A garden has a rectangular pool in it with a width that is twice its ...
- geometry - a a swimming pool having the shape of a rectangular solid has a ...
- math - The length of a swimming pool is 22 ft. The width is 40 ft. If the volume...
- Algebra - width W or a rectangular swimming pool is 7x^2. The area of the pool ...
- Math - The length of a pool is 8 times less than 5 times the width of the ...
- math - dimensions of a pool the perimeter of a rectangular swimming pool is 192 ...
- algebra 2 - an empty swimming pool is shaped like a rectangular prism with a ...
- Algebra - A rectangular lap pool has a constant depth. The length of the pool is...
- physics - Consider a rectangular swimming pool of depth 2.3 m with a width and ...