Posted by Emma on Thursday, October 27, 2011 at 2:14pm.
out of 250 students interviewed at a community college, 90 were taking mathematics but not computer science, 160 were taking mathematics, and 50 were taking neither mathematics nor computer science. Find the probability that a student chosen at random was
a. taking just computer science
b. taking mathematics or computer science, but not both
c. taking computer science
d. not taking mathematics
e. taking mathematics, given that the student was taking computer science
f. taking computer science, given that the student was taking mathematics
g. taking mathematics, given that the student was taking computer science or mathematics
h. taking computer science, given that the student was not taking mathematics
i. not taking mathematics, given that the student was not taking computer science
- probability - PsyDAG, Friday, October 28, 2011 at 11:48am
It would help if you proofread your questions before you posted them. You have not indicated that anybody is taking computer science or both.
- probability - Lee, Monday, November 19, 2012 at 12:14pm
This is exactly how the question is written on the test. Does that mean it can't be answered since we don't have part of the problem?
- probability - Luke, Wednesday, June 5, 2013 at 5:04pm
it's possible. You know 160 are taking math and OF the 160 90 are ONLY taking math leaving 70 taking both. 90+70(160) + 50 = 210. so 40 are taking c.s. but not math
70-math & c.s.
the rest is a:40/250, b:(90+40)/250, C:40/250, d:(50+40)/250
e gets tricky now is probability of students taking math out of the pool of (70+40)(the number taking c.s.) so 70/110
Answer this Question
- statistics - Among the 500 first year students of college, 270 students study ...
- Discrete Math - There are 150 students taking Discrete Mathematics II, Calculus ...
- math - Riena has six unmarked CDs in a box, where each is dedicated to exactly ...
- college - In a survey of a TriDelta chapter with 42 members, 17 were taking ...
- college intermediate - In a group of 200 high school students, 36 are taking ...
- College Math - In a group of 200 high school students, 36 are taking biology, 52...
- Math - In a survey of a TriDelt chapter with 50 members, 21 were taking ...
- algebra - In a survey of a TriDelt chapter with 50 members, 20 were taking ...
- Math - In a survey of a TriDelt chapter with 50 members, 23 were taking ...
- strayer - In a survey of a TriDelt chapter with 50 members, 21 were taking ...