Posted by annie on Monday, October 24, 2011 at 8:43am.
1. A boy drags a wooden crate with a mass of 20 kg, a distance of 12 m, across a rough level floor at a constant speed of 1.50 m/s by pulling on the rope tied to the crate with a force of 50 N. The rope makes an angle of 25¡ã with the horizontal.
a.What is the magnitude of each of the forces?
b.How much work is done by each of the forces?
c.What is the total amount of work done on the object?
d.What is the coefficient of friction of the crate on the floor? (Note, we usually write coefficients of friction to only 2 digits of accuracy.)
physics - Henry, Tuesday, October 25, 2011 at 4:53pm
Wc = mg = 20kg * 9.8N/kg=196N.= Weight of crate.
a. Fc = [196N,0deg).
Fp = 196sin(0) = 0 = Force parallel to
Fv = 196cos(0) = 196N. = Force perpendicular to floor.
Fn = Fap*cosA - Fp - Ff = 0,
Fn = 50cos25 - 0 - Ff = 0,
50cos25 - Ff = 0,
Ff = 50cos25 = 45.32N. = Force of friction.
b. W = Fd.
W = 50*cosw25 * 12 = 544N.
W = Fp*d = 0 * 12 = 0.
W = Ff*d = 45.32 * 12 = 544N.
c. Wt = 544 + 544 = 1088N.
d. u = Ff / Fv = 45.32 / 196 = 0.23.
physics - Henry, Tuesday, October 25, 2011 at 5:16pm
Correction: All work is in Joules and NOT Newtons.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - Sally applies a horizontal force of 500 N with a rope to dtag a wooden...
- physics - Sally applies a total force of 71 N with a rope to drag a wooden crate...
- Physics - A worker drags a crate across a factory floor by pulling on a rope ...
- Physics - A 55-kg packing crate is pulled with constant speed across a rough ...
- Physics - You are pulling a 60-kg crate across a level floor with a rope. If a ...
- Physics - A 51-kg packing crate is pulled with constant speed across a rough ...
- Physics - A rope exerts a constant horizontal force of 203N pulling a 68-kg ...
- Physics - A man drags a 71.5-kg crate across the floor at a constant velocity by...
- physics - A 55-kg packing crate is pulled with constant speed across a rough ...
- Physics - A crate with a total mass of 18.0 kg is pulled by a person along the ...