Posted by Kestrel on Sunday, October 23, 2011 at 10:19pm.
a rectangular field with an area of 8000 m^2 is enclosed by 400 m of fencing , detemine the dimesions of the field to the nearest tenth of a metre
Math - Jai, Sunday, October 23, 2011 at 10:38pm
first we represent the unknowns using variables:
let x = length
let y = width
recall that perimeter of rectangle is just,
P = 2x + 2y
since P is given (which is 400), we can get an expression of width in terms of length:
400 = 2x + 2y
400 - 2x = 2y
y = 200 - x
then to get the dimensions, we use the area given. recall that area of rectangle is just,
A = xy
8000 = x(200 - x)
8000 = 200x - x^2
x^2 - 200x + 8000 = 0
then solve for x using quadratic equation. then also solve for y.
hope this helps~ :)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Grade 11 Functions - A rectanguler field with an area of 8000 meters squared is ...
- geometry - A rectangular playing field is 3 times as long as it is wide. its ...
- math - a rectangular field is to be enclosed with 600m of fencing. Find the ...
- MATH - A rectangular field is to be enclosed with 1200 ft of fencing. If the ...
- Math - A rectangular field is to be enclosed with a 1130ft of fencing, if the ...
- Math 156 - A rectangular field is to be enclosed with 1200 ft. of fencing. If ...
- Math - A field hockey tournament is to be held in Yellowknife, NWT. According to...
- Maths - A mining company ha 10 000 m of fencing available.It wants to use a ...
- maths - A mining company ha 10 000 m of fencing available.It wants to use a ...
- Math - A rectangular field is to be enclosed with 1270 ft of fencing. If the ...