Posted by Emily on Sunday, October 23, 2011 at 6:16pm.
triangle ABC is an isosceles right triangle. The endpoints of the hypotenuse of ABC are A(4,7)B(8,1). Find the possible coordinates for the vertex C
- geometry - bobpursley, Sunday, October 23, 2011 at 6:33pm
The C willbe on the line which is the perpendicular bisector of the hypotenuse.
slope of AB= (6/-4)
slope of bisector= 4/6
but a point on the bisector is (6,4)
y= 4/6 x + b
4= 4/6 *6+b
equation of bisector is y= 4/6 x
now, there is a point on that line which forms to line segments which are 90 deg to each other.
Now, if AC and BC are perpendicular the slopes are neg reciprocals.
slope AC= (7-4x/6)/(4-x)
slope BC= (8-4x/6)/(1-x)
these are neg reciprocals, so this leads to
solve for x. It looks a little messy.
combine terms, simplify, solve for x with the binomial equation.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Geometry - Let ABC be any triangle. Equilateral triangles BCX, ACY, and BAZ are...
- Geometry - The coordinates of the endpoints of the hypotenuse of a right ...
- Math(Geometry) - In the diagram below(no diagram but details will be provided), ...
- Math (Geometry) - The perimeter of right triangle ABC is equal to the perimeter ...
- Math - the right triangle ABC, the altitude from vertex C divides the hypotenuse...
- geometry - how do you find the height of an isosceles triangle only knowing the ...
- Geometry - semicircle inside isosceles triangle - Isosceles triangle ABC has ...
- geometry - The medial triangle of a triangle ABC is the triangle whose vertices...
- Geometry - Triangle ABC has vertices of A(0,0), B(–4,0)and C(–2,4). The ...
- 9th grade - given that a(-1,8) ,b(2,4) and if the line y=4 is the axis of ...