Posted by Ali on Saturday, October 22, 2011 at 12:30am.
A 4kg block is sitting on the floor.
(a) How much potential energy does it have? (b) How much kinetic energy does it have?
(c) The block is raised to 2m high. How much potential energy does it have? (d) The block is raised to 4m high. How much potential energy does it have?
(e) The block is raised to 45m high. How much potential energy does it have? (f) The block is dropped to the ground. How fast is it traveling when it hits the ground? (remember chapter 2?)
(g) How much kinetic energy does it have when it hits the ground?
- science - Jai, Saturday, October 22, 2011 at 2:40am
recall that potential energy is stored energy, and is given by the formula:
PE = mgh (units in Joules)
m = mass (in kg)
g = acceleration due to gravity = 9.8 m/s^2
h = height (in m)
if the reference position is at the floor (that is, h = 0), the PE is equal to
PE = 4*9.8*0
PE = 0
recall that kinetic energy is energy in motion and is given by the formula:
KE = (1/2)*m*v^2
v = velocity (in m/s)
since it's not moving (v = 0),
KE = 0
at 2 m high,
PE = 4*9.8*2
PE = 78.4 J
at 4 m high,
PE = 4*9.8*4
PE = 158.8 J
at 45 m high,
PE = 4*9.8*45
PE = 1764 J
recall that the motion of the block is uniformly accelerated motion, and we can therefore use the formula:
(v,f)^2 - (v,o)^2 = 2gh
v,f = final velocity (in m/s)
v,o = initial velocity (in m/s)
since it is dropped from rest, v,o = 0:
v,f^2 = 2gh
v,f = sqrt(2gh)
v,f = sqrt(2*9.8*45)
v,f = 29.7 m/s
KE = (1/2)mv^2
KE = (1/2)*4*29.7^2
KE = 1764.18 J
this actually shows the law conservation of energy, which is ΔPE = -ΔKE
hope this helps~ :)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- science - 1. How much potential energy does a 5kg block have if it is 2m above ...
- Physics - A horizontal force of magnitude 30.0 N pushes a block of mass 3.85 kg ...
- Physics ~Conservation of Energy~ part 2 - 1.) A 500 kg roller coaster is pulled ...
- physics - A block is initially sliding along a horizontal surface with 24.6 J of...
- physics - A gun is fired vertically into a 1.55 kg block of wood at rest ...
- Physics - A 0.294-kg box is placed in contact with a spring of stiffness 3.792×...
- physics - A bullet with mass m = 5.21 g is moving horizontally with a speed v=...
- Physics ~please help me! - 1.) A car (m=1200 kg) moves form 2.0 m/s to 15.0 m/s ...
- Physics - In the figure below, a small block of mass m = 0.034 kg can slide ...
- science - A ball sitting on the top of a table has potential energy but no ...