Posted by David on Friday, October 21, 2011 at 5:47pm.
Giselle spent a total of $43 when she went shopping. She spent $14 for socks, $18.75 for a wallet, and bought lunch. When she got home, she had $4 left. How much did she spend for lunch?
- math - Ms. Sue, Friday, October 21, 2011 at 5:51pm
Solve for x.
14 + 18.75 + x + 4 = 43
36.75 + x = 43
x = 43 - 36.75
x = ?
- math - David, Friday, October 21, 2011 at 5:56pm
Why do you add the $4? My daughter missed this on a homework sheet because she didn't use the $4. Why should that even be considered?
- math - Ms. Sue, Friday, October 21, 2011 at 6:04pm
We're trying to find out how much she spent for lunch. We can account for the rest of the money.
Another way to work this problem is:
14 + 18.75 + x = 43 - 4
You'll get the same answer.
- math - David, Friday, October 21, 2011 at 6:12pm
Thanks, but that still makes no sense.
If she SPENT a TOTAL of $43 which included $14 for socks and $18.75 for a wallet and had $4 LEFT, Why does the $4 even have to be in the equation?
$43= $14 + $18.75 + LUNCH (X)
- math - Ms. Sue, Friday, October 21, 2011 at 6:14pm
I see your point. The question states that she SPENT $43. I suggest you have your daughter ask her teacher.
- math - Reiny, Friday, October 21, 2011 at 7:45pm
The $4 only enters the picture if asked ,
"how much money did she start with"
14 + 18.75 + lunch = 43
lunch = 43 - 14 - 18.75 = 10.25
So her lunch cost $10.25
She started with 43+4 or $47
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Rudy worked hard all summer. Before school started he decided to go ...
- Math - Mike had Some money in his wallet. Hè went to the mall and spent $8 On a ...
- Math - Martina went shopping. She spent a fifth of what she had in her wallet ...
- Algebra - I need help with this like really badly sooo yeahhhh:) here it is: ...
- math - leon shoped for school supplies. when he got home he had $23.50 left. he ...
- math - rudy went to the mall to spend some of his money he earned. he spent 1/3 ...
- Maths - Can someone help me with this... Mr and Mrs Lim went shopping with a ...
- maths - Dolly and Emily went shopping with a total of $114.80. After Dolly spent...
- math - Olivia bought some school supplies. In the first store she spent half the...
- Algebra POW #10 - Amanda worked hard all summer. Before school started,she ...