Posted by Laci on Tuesday, October 18, 2011 at 9:55pm.
1. Read the following passage from Edgar Allan Poe's "Annabel Lee":
"It was many and many
a year ago,
In a kingdom by the sea,
That a maiden there lived
whom you may know
By the name of Annabel Lee;–
And this maiden she lived with
no other thought
Than to love and be loved by me."
What singular effect is Poe attempting to express in this passage?
2. In "The Masque of the Red Death," when the clock strikes each hour, (1 point)
*the music and dancing cease.
the prince raises his glass in a toast.
the flame of the candles wavers.
the dancers put on their masques.
3. The masked figure who suddenly appears at the masquerade looks like
a fearsome pirate of the high seas.
a peasant who doesn’t belong in the prince’s company.
the prince in costume.
*someone who died of the Red Death.
4. At the end of the story, everyone discovers that
the masked figure is the prince in disguise.
the doors that had been welded shut had mysteriously opened.
*they aren’t safe from the Red Death after all.
the masked figure is a famous ghost of the abbey.
Read the following passage out loud, and then answer questions 5–7.
“Its pendulum swung to and fro with a dull, heavy, monotonous clang; and when the minute-hand made the circuit of the face, and the hour was to be stricken, there came from the brazen lungs of the clock a sound which was clear and loud and deep and exceedingly musical, but of so peculiar a note and emphasis that, at each lapse of an hour, the musicians of the orchestra were constrained to pause, momentarily, in their performance, to hearken to the sound; and thus the waltzers perforce ceased their evolutions; and there was a brief disconcert of the whole gay company; and while the chimes of the clock yet rang.”
5. The literary function of this passage is to describe the clock sounds and how the dancers and musicians react to clock sounds. How else does this passage add to the story? (1 point)
The passage uses words that sound like the noises they describe.
*The passage creates an ominous tone through word choice and sentence structure.
A and B above
None of the above is correct.
6. Poe describes the sounds of the clock as coming from its "brazen lungs." Why? (1 point)
to compare the clock to the harsh croaks of a singer
*to imply that the clock has a life of its own
to point out the brass components inside the clock
None of the above is correct.
7. The word brazen can mean "shameless" or "made of brass." Which of the following describes Poe's intended meaning? (1 point)
"Shameless" because Poe goes on to describe the interruptive nature of the clock sounds
"Made of brass" because this material could commonly be found in clocks
*Poe likely selected the word because of its dual meaning.
8. What do Poe's letters to John Allan reveal about himself?
Poe was a wealthy man upon publication of his poetry and short stories.
Poe had a healthy, close relationship with his stepfather, John Allan.
*The self-expression and logic in Poe's letters is also evident in his literature.
Poe was dishonorably discharged from the military.
I put an asterisk (*) next to my answer, so if anyone could check to see if its right, I would really appreciate it.
If anyone has done this and has the answers to this assignment, I would be very greatful and would gladly return the favor!
- English - SraJMcGin, Wednesday, October 19, 2011 at 2:57am
Try some of the following links on the poem Annabel Lee:
It was not clear at the very beginning that you had questions on anything other than "Annabel Lee." It would have been nice to skip lines between each item. They ran together and I gave up.
- English - Haeden, Wednesday, October 17, 2012 at 11:07am
music and dancing cease
someone who died of the red death
they arn't safe from the red death after all
and the rest arn't the same as i had on my english, so you are on your own there.
- English - john, Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 2:29pm
5. A and B above
- English - hlsml, Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 10:56am
- English - Shiina, Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at 10:56am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - I am stuck on these two questions(can you check #1 one over for me?)! ...
- English 10-Check/Help - I need help with the rhyme scheme and rhythm pattern. "...
- LA - Annabel Lee by Edgar Allen Poe - pls help!?? - 1. Which of the following ...
- English - What is the purpose of Annabel Lee by Edgar Allan Poe? What are some ...
- Language arts - What is the author's bias of edgar allan poe's annabel lee
- English 10 - Poetry - Poem: Annabel Lee Poet: Edgar Allan Poe What have you ...
- Language arts...again - What is the author's perspective of Edgar Allan Poe's ...
- poetry - Poem: Annabel Lee Poet: Edgar Allan Poe What have you learned about the...
- Poem: Annabel Lee by Edgar Allen Poe - Could you check these answers that go ...
- English - CHECK PLEASE?! Part 1: Poem Structure "Annbel lee" by edgar allen poe ...