Posted by marko on Tuesday, October 18, 2011 at 8:28pm.
1 julies car travels 27 miles per gallon of gassoline used. she recently travedled 324 miles. how many gallons of gasoline did her car use? im learning about algebra multiplicaion property of equality and divsion property of equality
would i write: i know i have to divide 324 / 27 = 12
but im not sure how to write out for algebra using a variable.
g/27 = 324
27 *g/27 = 324/27
g= 12 gallons. is that right?
2) a local park rents paddle boats for $5.50 per hour. you have $22.00 to spend. How many hours can you rent a boat? 22.00 / 5.50 is : 4 hrs
do i write it as:
h/5.50 = 22.00
5.50 * h/5.50 = 22.00 / 5.50
h = 4
is that right?
3) a video store charges $2.75 per day for overdue videos. You owe a late fee of $13.75. How many days overdue is the video?
i wrote: v/2.75 = 13.75
2.75 * v/2.75 = 13.75/2.75
v= 5 days late.
is this ok?
- algEBRA word problem - Steve, Tuesday, October 18, 2011 at 10:49pm
If you're confused over what to divide or multiply, keep the units with the numbers. As you work, try to cancel out the units you don't want.
For example, in the first problem, you have a consumption rate: 27mi/1gal
That fraction is essentially 1. Every 27 miles equals 1 gallon.
You also have 324 mi
You want to convert miles to gallons
You can always multiply by 1 without changing anything:
324mi * 1gal/27mi = 324/27 gal
See how the miles cancel out, leaving just the gallons?
Now you got the right answer, but look at your equation:
g/27 = 324
If you work that out, you get g=27*324
What you need is g * 27 = 324
That is, the number of gallons * the miles/gallon yields the miles traveled. You know this value, but had trouble with the equation. Take a look. On the left you multiplied by 27, but on the right you divided by 27. To manipulate an equation, you need to do the same thing to both sides.
- algEBRA word problem - Anonymous, Sunday, October 19, 2014 at 9:47pm
local park rents paddle boats for $5.50 per hour. you have $22.00 to spend. How many hours can you rent a boat?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- algebra word problem - My car gets 19 miles per gallon in the city and 34 miles ...
- algebra 1 - The Ricco family filled the gasoline tank of their car at the ...
- Math - A car travels 480 miles on 15 gallons of gasoline. How many miles does ...
- math - gasoline consumption problem suppose that the gas tank of a car holds 12 ...
- algebra - A car travels 350 miles on 20 gallons of gallons of gasoline.How many ...
- math - On a weekend road trip, the Jensen family drove 210 miles on highways, ...
- Word Problem /Math - Angel's car gets 32 miles per gallon and Mo's car gets 22 ...
- eco - during2004 the national average gas price rose from $1.50 a gallon to $2....
- Algebra 1 - Victor needs to calculate the number of miles per gallon his car ...
- Algebra Word Problems - when going more than 38 miles per hour the gas mileage ...