Posted by clam on Monday, October 17, 2011 at 2:55am.
I'm working on a first year chemistry lab where we synthesized alum from alunimini foil and I'm doing the report and one of the questions is as follows:
Based on your findings, what volume of water can be cleared of suspended solids by one beverage can (give a range in L)? (Assume the mass of the beverage can to be 13.33 g)
Mass of Al: 0.98 g
Mass of alum (KAl(SO4)2)*12H2O): 16.44 g
% yield = 95.41%
Any help as to where I can start would be very much appreciated!
- University Chemistry (first year) - kj, Wednesday, October 17, 2012 at 7:43pm
- University Chemistry (first year) - Adam, Wednesday, October 17, 2012 at 8:33pm
According to your percentage yield, the beverage can can produce 12.72g of alum
> 13.33 * (95.41%) = 12.72g
If you refer to page 49 of your laboratory book, under the "the laboratory project", you will see written:
"25g to 300g of alum per 1000L of water is required to remove suspended solids."
To find the Volume of water per 12.72g of alum that is required to remove suspended solids, divide each mass by your mass:
25/12.72 = 1.97
300/12.72 = 23.58
and then divide 1000L of water by each number:
1000/1.97 = 508.8L
1000/23.58 = 42.4L
Hence, 12.72g of alum can clear 42.2 - 508.8 L of water from suspended solids.
Hope this helped.
- University Chemistry (first year) - Raymond, Thursday, November 29, 2012 at 3:30pm
I'm pretty sure the 13.33g is mass of aluminum not alum. You found that 0.92g of aluminum gives 16.44g of alum so how much g of alum do u get from 13.33g of aluminum
- University Chemistry (first year) - KSung, Wednesday, March 26, 2014 at 3:36am
Hi I am 10. RP pls.
- University Chemistry (first year) - Wilfred Wong, Wednesday, March 26, 2014 at 3:39am
Hi I am 10. RP pls. Kimochi
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- First Year Chemistry - I have a question that I don't understand from my first ...
- Chemistry - I conducted the synthesis of an Alum experiment in my lab last week ...
- MATH - The cost of attendance at State University is $22,000 for the first year...
- Chemistry - 1. Imagine that you work at a company that prepares chemical ...
- Chemistry 211 - Which of the following statements is a reasonable explanation ...
- 1st grade - I am helping my little sister. SHe is in the first grade and ...
- Statistics - A class survey in a large class for first-year college students ...
- Stats Anyone? - The first-year retention rate is the percentage of entering ...
- billing and coding - An 18-year-old male presents to the ED following a serious ...
- AP Chemistry - I am doing a lab on finding the molecular mass of a volatile ...