Posted by Erin on Sunday, October 16, 2011 at 7:19pm.
Visit the following Web sites and explore the collections of Ancient Art there:
The Metropolitan Museum of Art
The Louvre Museum
The Smithsonian Institution Freer Gallery and Sackler Gallery
See the Course Materials List for access to these sites. From the gallery Web sites listed above, and available through the Course Materials List, select two works of art from any ancient culture.
2. Using the terminology and concepts you are learning for evaluating art, compare and contrast the two works including materials used, style, meaning, symbolism, and any other aesthetic issues.
What is the FORM of the work?
Is it a two-dimensional or three-dimensional work of art?
What materials are used?
What techniques or processes are used to create the artwork?
What colors are used?
Describe the use of line, shape, texture, value, color, and balance.
Does the work of art have SUBJECT MATTER?
If so, what is literally depicted?
Is the work of art REPRESENTATIONAL, ABSTRACT, or NONOBJECTIVE?
What is the CONTENT?
What does it mean or represent?
What is the artist's message?
Is symbolism used? If so, what is the meaning?
What is the context of the artwork?
What is the function of the artwork?
What traditional role of the artist is exemplified?
3. Explain how the works of art fit into the context of the time period. Keep in mind that only artworks that fit into the period of Ancient Art (created between 30,000 BCE- 500 CE) will be accepted.
- Art Appreciation - Ms. Sue, Sunday, October 16, 2011 at 7:26pm
How would you like us to help you with this assignment?
- Art Appreciation - Erin , Sunday, October 16, 2011 at 7:29pm
I do not understand it.
- Art Appreciation - Ms. Sue, Sunday, October 16, 2011 at 7:39pm
1. Select two works of art from any ancient culture.
Use the recommended sources.
2. Then answer the questions, based upon what you've learned in this course.
- Art Appreciation - Erin , Sunday, October 16, 2011 at 7:40pm
ok thank you
- Art Appreciation - Ms. Sue, Sunday, October 16, 2011 at 7:43pm
You're welcome. Enjoy your ancient art explorations. :-)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- AIU - 500 words (not including references) Details: Visit the following websites...
- art - The Metropolitan Museum of Art The Louvre Museum The Smithsonian ...
- Art - On the Internet, look up and list two or more definitions of the word "art...
- art - You are a museum director/gallery executive director - a person of ...
- art - On the Internet, look up and list two or more definitions of the word "art...
- Fine Arts - I need some help identifying the elements and principles of art used...
- art - Can some one please help me with this question. It is for an art class, ...
- Art - Which exhibit would be the least likely choice for a museum s specializing...
- Art/English-citations - How would i shorten the following citation for ...
- art history - without useing a museum art become a investigative journalist ...