Posted by Gracy on Sunday, October 16, 2011 at 1:36pm.
refer to the reaction: 2Mg+O2->2MgO. complete the ICE table
2Mg+ O2 2MgO
I 1.25g 25.0g 0g
C ? ? ?
E ? ? ?
I am so lost on the table I have refered to my notes but they are not making any sense. I would really appreciate any help!!
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, October 16, 2011 at 2:15pm
This is a limiting reagent problem. How do I know that? Because amounts are give for BOTH reactants. So we must decide which is the limiting reagent. I do this by calculating TWO stoichiometry problems. Here is a reference that will work ALL stoichiometry problems.
moles Mg = 1.25/24.3 = 0.051
moles O2 = 25.0g/32 = 0.78
............2Mg + O2 --> 2MgO
initial: You had 0.050 moles Mg and 0.78 moles O2 to start.
change. You will use ALL of the Mg and part of the O2. How much O2 is used? That is 0.05 moles Mg x (1 mole O2/2 moles Mg) = 0.05 x 1/2 = 0.025.
I thing the remaining part of the table should be clear.
How did I know to use -0.05 in the change? Because if I used -.78, under Mg I would have had
-?? and we know we can't have a negative number remaining; i.e., the 0.78 is too large so I don't use that one but the smaller one.
Let me know if this is not clear.
- Chemistry - Nathan, Sunday, October 16, 2011 at 3:07pm
No idea lol
Answer this Question
- Chemistry - 2Mg + O2 --> 2MgO REMEMBER our mole ratio is 2Mg:1O2, 2Mg:2MgO, ...
- Chemistry - Separate this redox reaction into its component half-reactions. O2...
- chemistry - i mean state symbols for the equation: 2Mg + O2 = 2MgO
- Chemistry - Increasing the surface area will increase the reaction rate in: 1. ...
- chemistry 101 - given the reaction: 2mg + o2-----> 2mgo . when 4.32g of ...
- Chemistry 143 - Write three thermochemical equation needed to calculate delta H ...
- Chemistry - 2Mg + O2--->2MgO If more magnesium is added a.the reaction will ...
- Chemistry - How many grams of MgO are produced during an enthalpy change of -96....
- chemistry - magnesium in flashbulbs burn according to the equation 2Mg + O2 ---&...
- Chem - How do you write redox reactions. I was given this equation below: 2Mg + ...