Posted by StuartKess on Saturday, October 15, 2011 at 8:54am.
A piece of rope is cut into three pieces in the ratio 2:7:11. If the longest piece is 72cm longer than the shortest piece, find the length of the original rope.
Ps: how do I do this type of question?
What are the fixed steps?
- Math - Jai, Saturday, October 15, 2011 at 9:16am
first represent the unknowns using variables:
let 2x = shortest piece
let 7x = 2nd longest piece
let 11x = longest piece
from the second statement, the longest piece is 72 longer than the shortest:
11x = 72 + 2x
solving for x,
11x - 2x = 72
9x = 72
x = 8
the length of the original rope is the sum of all lengths:
2x + 7x + 11x
20x = 20*8 = 160 cm
hope this helps~ :)
- Math - StuartKess, Saturday, October 15, 2011 at 9:48am
Thanks!!! :) is there any shorter ways? :)))
- Math - StuartKess, Saturday, October 15, 2011 at 9:55am
Why 72 + 2x = 11x ?
Would you be able to list some of the common sentences for forming this type of equations? Thanks!! :)))
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - A rope 116 inches is cut into three pieces.The middle-sized piece is ...
- Math algebra - A 120- foot long rope is cut into three pieces the first piece of...
- MATH - The 120-foot rope is cut into 3 pieces.The first of rope is twice as long...
- algebra - A 120-foot-long rope is cut into 3 pieces. The first piece of rope is ...
- math - a 45 inch rope is cut into 3 pieces. the first piece of rope is 3 inches ...
- math - A carpenter sawed a piece of wood into 3 pieces. The ratio of the pieces ...
- Algebra - A 36-meter rope is divided into three pieces. One piece is twice as ...
- Math - a 120 foot long rope is cut into 3 pieces. the first piece of rope is ...
- math - a 132 inch lenght of ribbon is to be cut into 3 pieces the longest piece ...
- math - A 120-foot long rope is cut into 3 pieces. the first rope is twice as ...