Posted by Bri on Friday, October 14, 2011 at 6:43am.
The sum of two consecutive odd integers is 56.
A. Define a variable for the smaller integer.
B. What must you add to an odd integer to get the next greater odd integer?
C. Write an expression for the second integer.
D. Write and solve an equation to find the two odd integers.
Algebra - Jai, Friday, October 14, 2011 at 7:22am
(a) represent the unknowns using variables:
let x = be the smaller odd integer
(b) since the difference between any odd integers is always 2, we must add 2 to the smaller odd integer to get the next odd integer.
(c) let x + 2 = be the greater odd integer
(d) since it is stated that the sum of the integers is equal to 56,
x + (x + 2) = 56
2x + 2 = 56
2x = 54
x = 27 (smaller odd integer)
x + 2 = 29 (larger odd integer)
hope this helps~ :)
Algebra - Tim, Friday, October 14, 2011 at 7:28am
Yeah, I did it right! Thank you!!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - The sum of two consecutive even integers is 118. A. Define a variable ...
- pre-algebra - The perimeter of a triangle is 195 mm.If the lengths of the sides ...
- math check - Posted by TchrWill on Thursday, July 14, 2005 at 5:44pm. 2.)The sum...
- algebra - Find the two consecutive odd integers such that 5 times the first ...
- math - A. Four times one odd integer is 14 less than three times the next even ...
- discrete math - Prove by contradiction that for any even integer a and any odd ...
- math - if the number represented by n-3 is an odd integer, which expression ...
- algebra 1 - PLEASE HELP! NO ONE ANSWERED THE QUESTION three times an odd integer...
- algebra 2 - consecutive odd integer problem find two odd integers the sum of ...
- algebra - three times an odd integer is eleven less than four times the next ...