Posted by mike on Tuesday, October 11, 2011 at 9:15pm.
AUNT ALICE GAVE EACH OF HER 3 NIECES A NUMBER OF SILVER DOLLARS EQUAL TO THEIR AGES.
THE YOUNGEST FELT THAT THIS WAS UNFAIR. THEY AGREED TO REDISTRIBUTE THE MONEY.
THE YOUNGEST WOULD SPLIT HALF HER SILVER DOLLARS EVENLY WITH HER SISTERS.THE MIDDLE SISTER WOULD THEN GIVE EACH OF THE OTHERS 4 SILVER DOLLARS. FINALLY THE OLDEST WAS TO SPLIT HALF OF HER DOLLARS EQUALLY BETWEEN THE 2 YOUNGER SISTERS.
AFTER EXCHANGING THE MONEY EACH GIRL HAD 16 SILVER DOLLARS.
HOW OLD WERE THE SISTERS?
HINT: START WITH EACH SISTER HAVING 16 SILVER DOLLARS AND THEN WORK BACK.
- MATH - Steve, Tuesday, October 11, 2011 at 11:35pm
Let the sisters have dollars in the amounts of a,b,c.
After the youngest splits half of hers with the others, they have
a/2, b+a/4, c+a/4
After the middle gives each of the others 4, they have
a/2 + 4, b+a/4 - 8, c+a/4 + 4
After the eldest splits half of hers with the others, they have
a/2 + 4 + (c+a/4 + 4)/4, b+a/4 - 8 + (c+a/4 + 4)/4, (c+a/4 + 4)/2
Now they all have 16.
a/2 + 4 + (c+a/4 + 4)/4 = 16
b+a/4 - 8 + (c+a/4 + 4)/4 = 16
(c+a/4 + 4)/2 = 16
substituting in the last expression, we have
a/2 + 4 + 8 = 16
b + a/4 - 8 + 8 = 16
c/2 + a/8 + 2 = 16
a = 8
b = 14
c = 26
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - Aunt Alice gave each of her three nieces a number of silver dollars equal...
- math - aunt alice gave each of her three nieces a number of silver dollars equal...
- Algebra - The four oldest people in Golden City have lived a total of 384 years ...
- Algebra - The ages of three brothers are consecutive even integers. Three times ...
- math - a total of $24.00 is to be divided among three children in amounts ...
- math - use the names and ages of yourself and the other two people you selected...
- Math - Could someone please help me solve this problem, the age numbers that I ...
- math trivia - larry has 3 children. the product of their ages is 36 and the sum ...
- Algebra - The Smith family has 13 children, all born exactly 2 years apart. How ...
- Math - Alice, Bob, and Charlie are three siblings with ages a, b, and c ...