Posted by Sejul on Monday, October 10, 2011 at 2:35pm.
open top rectangular box made from 35 x 35 inch piece of sheet metal by cutting out equal size squares from the corners and folding up the sides. what size squares should be removed to produce box with maximum volume.
math - bobpursley, Monday, October 10, 2011 at 3:30pm
2h+w=35 or w=35-2h
2h+l=35 or l= 35-2h
dV/dh= 2(35-2h)(-2)h+ (35-2h)^2 =0
solve for h, then the cut squares are hxh.
math - Steve, Monday, October 10, 2011 at 3:35pm
hen the corners of size x are cut out, the dimensions of the box are
35-2x and 35-2x and x, and the volume is thus
v = (35-2x)(35-2x)x
= 1225x - 140x^2 + 4x^3
dv/dx = 1225 -280x + 12x^2
dv/dx = 0 when x = 5.83333
calculus - lulu, Friday, November 18, 2011 at 1:29am
an open box is to be made from a piece of metal 16 by 30 inches by cutting out squares of equal size from the corners and bending up the sides. what size should be cut out to create a box with the greatest volume? what is the maximum volume?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - An open box is to be made from a 10-ft by 14-ft rectangular piece of ...
- Math - A box with a rectangular base and no top is to be made from a 9 inch by ...
- calculus - An open box is to be made from a 21 ft by 56 ft rectangular piece of ...
- math - a rectangular sheet of cardboard 4m by 2m is used to make an open box by ...
- Calculus - A square sheet of cardboard with a side 16 inches is used to make an ...
- Calculus - A SHEET OF CARDBOARD 180 INCHES SQUARE IS USED to make an open box by...
- Calc - a box with an open top is to be made from a rectangular piece of tin by ...
- calculus - an open box is to be made from a piece of metal 16 by 30 inches by ...
- algebra - Open-top box. Thomas is going to make an open-top box by cutting equal...
- College Math - An open-topped rectangular box is to be constructed from a 24 ...