Posted by Tammie on Saturday, October 8, 2011 at 9:04pm.
Could someone show me how to solve these two problems-I have 10 of each kind to do this weekend and I'm really lost
1. Find product of 8(cos pi/2 + i sin pi/2) * 1/2(cos pi/6 + i sin pi/6)
2. Same problem but find quotient instead of product
Please someone show me these two so I can do my other problems from these examples
Thankyou Thank you
- Pre-Calc - drwls, Saturday, October 8, 2011 at 9:27pm
1. That can be written
8*e^(i*pi/2) * (1/2)e^(i pi/6)
= 4 e^(2i*pi/3)
= 4 [cos(2*pi/3) + i sin (2*pi/3)]
= -2 + 2(sqrt3)i
2. The quotient is
= 16[cos(pi/3) + i sin(pi/3)]
= 8 + 8 sqrt3 i
- Pre-Calc-Pleas recehck - Tammie, Saturday, October 8, 2011 at 9:38pm
Thank you very much for showing me the steps but they don't match my answers that are available: Could you possibly further explain-I'm messed up right now on this concept-
the answers for Number 1 are
2. answers for number two are:
- Pre-Calc - Damon, Sunday, October 9, 2011 at 9:33am
cis Theta = cos Theta + i sin Theta
x = r cos Theta
y = r sin Theta
so for example
4 cis 2 pi/3 = 4 cos 2 pi/3 + 4 i sin 2pi/3
but cos 2p/i/3 = -.5 and sin 2pi/3 = sqrt 3/2
x = 4 (-.5) = -2
y = 4 (.5/ sqrt 3) = 2 sqrt3
-2 + 2 i sqrt 3
Your answer is the same as that of WLS
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Pre-calculus help - I have two problems I am stuck on, if you could show me how ...
- Calculus - MathMate Please help - ok, i tried to do what you told me but i cant ...
- Math, Pre-Calc - the original problem was: Solve: sin(3x)-sin(x)=cos(2x) so far ...
- Math - Calculus - The identity below is significant because it relates 3 ...
- Pre-Calc - I have two questions how do you solve cos x=sqrt2-cosx on the ...
- pre calc trig check my work please - sin x + cos x -------------- = ? sin x sin ...
- pre-calc - Solve: cos(2x-180) - sin(x-90)=0 my work: cos2xcos180 + sin2xsin180= ...
- Pre-Calc - Evaluate the expression without using a calculator(show work please...
- pre-calc helpppp - Find sin x/2, cos x/2, and tan x/2 from the given information...
- Math - Solve this equation algebraically: (1-sin x)/cos x = cos x/(1+sin x) --- ...