Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 9:10pm.
We read the poem "Verses Upon The Burning Of Our House" By Anne Bradstreet. I need to find text in the poem that either shows that she really did miss all her possessions like her books and unpublished poems, or that material items really did not matter to her.
I've read the poem a few times and I am convinced that she did miss a few things lost in the fire, such as her chest. Am I correct and is there anything else that she misses?
- American Literature - Writeacher, Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 9:15pm
What do you think about these lines?
The flame consume my dwelling place.
And when I could no longer look,
I blest his grace that gave and took,
That laid my goods now in the dust.
Adieu, Adieu, All's Vanity.
Then straight I 'gin my heart to chide:
And did thy wealth on earth abide,
Didst fix thy hope on mouldring dust,
- American Literature - Anonymous, Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 9:17pm
Well if I'm correct, then it seems like she bid farewell to her belongings and moved on?
- American Literature - Writeacher, Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 9:24pm
Exactly. And she "blest his grace" (thanked God) that her things lay "in the dust" but she is alive.
- American Literature - Anonymous, Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 9:27pm
Oh, is that the only section of the poem that shows that she does not miss any of her possessions?
- American Literature - Writeacher, Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 9:28pm
I see two sections above. Don't you?
- American Literature - Anonymous, Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 9:29pm
Yes. Thank you very much.
- American Literature - Writeacher, Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 9:31pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- english - Hi, I'm looking for the following poem. I need a version that has it ...
- Writing - Can you proofread my paper? The assignment was to write a five-...
- English - What is the Rhyme Scheme to the following Anne Bradstreet Poem To her ...
- english - 1. Which of the following phrases best defines rhythm? (1 point) ...
- English - Anne Bradstreet's "The Author to Her Book" I have to explain the irony...
- POETRY - Who is the intended audience for the poem Flesh and Spirit by Anne ...
- english - Which of the following is NOT true of an in-text citation? A basic in-...
- literature - I need to now what is the poem of full powers about... the poem is...
- english 11 - 4. Which of the following statements about Anne Bradstreet is NOT ...
- English - I need to write a poem in the style of an American romantic poet. I ...