HELP ASAP ( COLLEGE STATISTICS)
posted by kelli on .
Describe in words the nature of the relationship between each pair of variables as indicated by the value of the correlation coefficient. Be sure to include
a. the direction of the relationship.
b. the strength of the relationship.
c. a verbal description of the way the variables "go together."
d. an appropriate graph of the relationship. (for the graphing portion, describe what the scatterplot should look like in terms of slope, linear characteristics, etc)
1. r = -.96 between craving for pizza and ability to concentrate on studying.
2. r = +.02 between length of marriage and marital satisfaction.
3. r = +.55 between parent and child intelligence test scores.
4. r = -.90 between amount of alcohol consumed and performance on a motor coordination task.
5. r = +.75 between amount of money won and the number of hot dogs purchased at race tracks.
6. r = +.67 between scores on a hyperactivity scale and an aggressiveness scale.
7. r = -.82 between a job applicant's age and likelihood of being hired.
8. r = +.06 between the number of yearly predictions by psychics and the number of correct predictions.
I NEED HELP AM NOT UNDERSTANDING THIS.
Positive r, both variables increase/decrease together. The direction is from lower left to upper right.
Negative r, one variable increases while the other decreases. Direction is from upper left to lower right.
r = ± 1 = prefect predictability, straight line. r = 0 = no predictability, scores spread randomly. As approach 1, the spread gets less and less, and predictability gets greater.
The above information should help you answer the above questions.