Posted by Ron on Sunday, October 2, 2011 at 2:39am.
a) What is the area of the tri-angle determined by the lines y= − 1/ 2x + 5,y =6x and they-axis?
(b) If b > 0 and m < 0, then the line y = mx +b cuts off a triangle from the first quadrant. Express the area of that tri-angle in terms ofm andb.
(c) The lines y = mx +5, y = x and the y-axis form a triangle in the first quadrant. Suppose this triangle has an area of 10 square units. Findm.
- math - Steve, Monday, October 3, 2011 at 5:03am
Find where the two slanting lines intersect:
-x/2 + 5 = 6x
x = 10/13
That's the height of a triangle with base on the y-axis, length 5.
Area = 5 * 10/13 = 50/13
the height = b
the width is where y=0: x = -b/m
Area = b * -b/m = -b^2/m
where do they intersect?
mx+5 = x
x = 5/(1-m)
That's the height of the triangle with base on the y-axis, length 5
Area = 5/(1-m) * 5 = 25/(1-m)
25/(1-m) = 10
25 = 10m - 10
m = 35/10 = 3.5
- math - Ria, Wednesday, October 12, 2011 at 12:53pm
a) -x/2 +5 = 6x
A= 1/2 (b)(h)
A= 1/2 (10/13)(5)= 25/13
width= x =-b/m
A= 1/2 (-b/m)(b)= -b^2/2m
10=1/2 (5) (5/(1-m))
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- algebra - Two lines, C and D, are represented by the following equations: Line C...
- Math - This question concerns the straight line that passes through the points...
- Mathamatics - This question concerns the straight line that passes through the ...
- Geometry - I have four questions: 1. The area of trapezoid ABCD is 60. One base ...
- Calculus - 1. Find the area of the region bounded by the curves and lines y=e^x ...
- maths geometry - Find and write down a proof that the product of the gradients ...
- Trigonometry - Let è be the angle between the x-axis and the line connecting the...
- calculus - Hello, I have two questions that I've been working on, but I don't ...
- Math - I need the following definitions Please: point line intersecting lines ...
- Math - Determine the vector parametric equation of the line through the origin ...