Posted by Kylie on Saturday, October 1, 2011 at 8:29am.
The horizontal surface on which the block of mass 5.1 kg slides is frictionless. The force of 62 N acts on the block in a horizontal direction and the force of 124 N acts on the block at an angle of 60 degrees.
What is the magnitude of the resulting acceleration of the block? The acceleration of
gravity is 9.8 m/s^2
physics - Henry, Monday, October 3, 2011 at 3:21pm
Wb = mg = 5.1kg * 9.8N/kg = 49.98 =
Weight of block.
Fb = (49.98N,0deg).
Fp = Fh = 49.98sin(0) = 0 = Force parallel to the plane = Hor. force.
Fv = 49.98cos0 = 49.98N = Force perpendicular to plane.
Fap = (62N,0deg) + (124N,60deg).
X = hor. = 62 + 124cos60 = 124N.
Y = ver. = 124sin60 = 107.39N.
tanA = Y/X = 107.39 / 124 = 0.8660,
A = 40.89 deg.
Fap = X / cosA = 124 / cos40.89 = 164N.
Fap = (164N,40.9deg) = Force applied.
Fn = Fap*cosA = ma,
164cos40.9 = 5.1a,
a = 164cos40.9 / 5.1 = 24.3m/s^2. =
acceleration of block.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - The horizontal surface on which the block of mass 5 kg slides is ...
- physics - The horizontal surface on which the block of mass 4 kg slides is ...
- physics - The horizontal surface on which the block of mass 5.2 kg slides is ...
- Physics - Block B has a mass of 4.2 kg and block A has a mass of 2.6 kg. They ...
- physics - Two blocks are pushed along a horizontal frictionless surface by a ...
- physics - A 2.0-N force acts horizontally on a 10-N block that is initially at ...
- Physics. - A block of mass 3m is placed on a frictionless horizontal surface, ...
- Physics - A block of mass 3m is placed on a frictionless horizontal surface, and...
- Physics - A horizontal force, F1 = 85 N, and a force, F2 = 18.4 N acting at an ...
- Physics - Two cubic blocks are in contact, resting on a frictionless horizontal ...