Posted by Henry2 on Sunday, September 25, 2011 at 12:41pm.
Here is the second speech act. Thank you for your cooperation.
I also wanted to know if:
A) Would you prefer it if we met at six?
has the same meaning as
B) Would you prefer to meet at six?
Is "it" necessary in sentence number 1?
Indirect speech: She asked me if I would prefer to meet at six. (Is it the only possibility?)
1)“Please tidy up you room.”
2)“Can/could you (please) tidy up your room before dinner?” , she asked
3)“Will/would you (please) tidy up your room before dinner?”
4)“I’d like you to tidy up your room before dinner.”
5)“Would you mind lending me your pen?”/”Do you mind (is it possible?) lending me...?”
1-4) She kindly asked/requested/begged/ me to tidy up my room before dinner. (Can I use other reporting verbs?)
- English - SraJMcGin, Sunday, September 25, 2011 at 1:36pm
A. The "it" is not necessary, but it clarifies the sentence better.
B. Yes, the meaning is the same.
The only possibility? No = She asked me if I would prefer meeting at six.
1) Please tidy your room. I like better. In any event you - your
3) Will you = future but Would you = sounds more like a request.
5) Is it possible to lend me your pen.
1-4) She asked me kindly to tidy my room.
reporting? You could get stronger = she demanded/insisted
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - I'm finding it difficult to turn sentences (or better speech acts) ...
- English - Thank you for your help. One more time, I'd like to post the structure...
- English - 1. I prefer to go there by bus. 2. I prefer going there by bus. 3. I ...
- English - 1. I prefer to play soccer with them. 2. I prefer playing soccer with ...
- English - 1. I happened to meet he on the sidewalk. 2. I chanced to meet her on ...
- English - 1. I will go abroad. 2. I would go abroad. 3. I will prefer an aisle ...
- Math - 7 10 of your friends prefer to take a math test on Friday. 7 20 prefer ...
- algebra - n a survey of 60 randomly-chosen employees, 15 said they would prefer ...
- English - I have to memorize and recite exactly 12 lines from Shakespeare's "...
- STATISTICS - t has been claimed that 65% of homeowners would prefer to heat with...