Posted by kait on Sunday, September 25, 2011 at 12:26am.
a builder intends to construct a storage shed having a volume of 900ft^3, a flat roof and a rectangular base whose width is three-fourths the length. the cost per square foot of the materials is 4000.00 for the floor,6000.00 for the sides and 3000.00 for the roof. what dimension will minimize the cost?
diffirential calculus - Reiny, Sunday, September 25, 2011 at 11:18am
I like to avoid fractions if possible, so let the
width be 3x
and the length be 4x , (notice that 3x/4x) = 3/4)
let the height be h
h = 900/(12x^2) = 75/x^2
Cost = C = 4000(top) + 6000(sides) + 3000(roof)
= 4000(12x^2) + 6000(8xh+6xh) + 3000(12x^2)
= 84000x^2 + 84000xh
= 84000x^2 + 84000x(75/x^2
= 84000x^2 + 84000(75)/x
= 84000(x^2 + 75/x)
d(Cost)/dx = 84000(2x - 75/x^2) = 0 for a min of C
2x = 75/x^2
x^3 = 75/2 = 37.5
x = (37.5)^(1/3) = 3.347
width = 3(3.347) = 10.04
length = 4(3.347) = 13.39
height = 75/(3.347)^2 = 6.69 (all in feet)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus - AM having problems understanding what equations to use for this word ...
- Math - A toolshed with a square base and a flat roof is to have a volume of 800 ...
- calculus - An open box is to be constructed so that the length of the base is 4 ...
- CALC - An open box is to be constructed so that the length of the base is 4 ...
- Calculus - A rectangular storage container with an open top is to have a volume ...
- Calc 1 - A rectangular storage container with an open top is to have a volume of...
- Calculus - A holding pen for fish is to be made in the form of a rectangular ...
- HELP!! OPTIMIZATION CALCULUS - A rectangular storage container with a lid is to ...
- Calculus optimization - A rectangular storage container with a lid is to have a ...
- Calc 1 (Optomization) - A rectangular storage container with an open top is to ...