Posted by -Untamed- on Saturday, September 24, 2011 at 8:18pm.
State whether the following are true or false.
The square roots of 36 are + and - 6. I wrote down false for this cause I thought it was only + 6, but the real answer is true, and I want to know that how can it be negative?
Also for this:
Convert the following radicals to mixed radicals in simplest form.
I did this without making the factor tree, my teacher showed me an easy way.
ã50 = ã2*5*5 = 5*5ã2 = 25ã2
That's what I got 25ã2, but the answer is supposed to be 5ã2. I don't understand, did they reduce or something?
Calculus--sorry - -Untamed-, Saturday, September 24, 2011 at 8:20pm
Sorry this ã was supposed to be the radical sign, don't know why it never showed up.
Calculus - Reiny, Saturday, September 24, 2011 at 11:00pm
A bit of a technicality here.
The √ symbol is defined as the principal square root, which means, the positive square root of a number
Thus √36 = +6
on the other hand if you have
x^2 = 16
then ±x = √16 = 4 from which we get
x = ± 4
so the -4 actually does not come from √16 but rather from
x^2 = 16
Your question is a poor choice for a true or false type question.
2nd part of your post:
√50 = √25√2 = 5√2
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- calculus - Determine whether the statement is true or false. If it is true, ...
- Chemistry: Answer check please! - 1. Reactions follow the law of conservation of...
- Fitness (Check answers) - 6) Gang member often have weapons and are involved in ...
- Grammar and Composition - please check my answers: Write true if the statement ...
- chemistry - In the chemical plating experiment zinc powder is dissolved in a ...
- Fitness (Check answers) - 1) Sitting in class wearing ear buds during a lecture ...
- Physics -- check answers please - 1. Which of the following best shows the ...
- 7th grade health true or false - 11. Disagreements are a normal part of life. (1...
- 7th grade health Ms. Sue please thanks - True/False Indicate whether the ...
- Physical Ed - 11. Disagreements are a normal part of life. (1 point) True False ...