Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday, September 21, 2011 at 8:12pm.
A tree grows 2.80 m during the first year since it was planted. During each subsequent year the tree's growth is 85% of its growth the previous year.
a) Calculate to the nearest 0.001m, the growth of the tree in the fourth year.
Tn = ar^n-1
T4 = 2.80(0.85)^10-1
T4 = 2450
I don't get how to do this, the answer is wrong, its supposed to be 1.72m :\
Determine the first year in which the growth of the tree is less than half a metre.
- Calculus - Reiny, Wednesday, September 21, 2011 at 8:27pm
Where in the world did you get 10 in the 10-1
should have been 4-1
T4 = 2.8(.85)^3 = 1.719 or 1.72
for growth to be .5
.5 = 2.8(.85)^(n-1)
divide by 2.8
.17857.. = .85^(n-1)
take log of both sides
log (.17857..) = log [.85^(n-1)]
log (.17857..) = (n-1)log [.85]
n-1 = log (.17857..) / log [.85] = 10.6
n = 11.6
in year 11, growth = 2.8(.85)^10 = .5512
in year 12, growth = 2.8(.85)^11 = .468
so what do you think?
- Calculus - Anonymous, Wednesday, September 21, 2011 at 8:35pm
So that would be Year 12.
- Calculus - Reiny, Wednesday, September 21, 2011 at 8:36pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - Jen Planted a 7 ft tee, tree grows 3 ft each year. Now tree is 4times...
- Math - CLIMATOLOGIST Each year a tree is alive,it adds a layer of growth,called ...
- Economic - All of the following refer to the Economy of Ecoland: - GDP in 1990 ...
- Math - You plant a 4 foot maple tree that grows at a rate of 6 inches per year ...
- Economics - A nations capital goods wear out over time, so a portion of it's ...
- MATH OPEN RESPONSE - some years ago, Marcus planted a 7-foot tree in his front ...
- Math - 1. The table shows the growth in the number of Mcdonalds restaurants ...
- College Level Calculus - Each orange tree grown in California produces 720 ...
- Chemistry - Is cutting a tree reversible? Several things come to mind, maybe not...
- Math - Early in his career, Andrew Ellicott Douglass (1867-1962) noticed a ...