Posted by ael on Tuesday, September 20, 2011 at 10:04pm.
When a woman is as old as her father is now, she will be five times as old as her son is now. By then, her son will be eight years older than she is now. The combined ages of her father and herself are 100 years. How old is her son?
math - Steve, Wednesday, September 21, 2011 at 11:33am
Let the ages be woman=w, son=s, father=f.
The first sentence f=5s.
Now, the woman will as old as her father in f-w years. The son will then be s+f-w years old. The second sentence says that s+f-w = 8+w.
The 3rd sentence says that w+f = 100.
So, we have three equations, which we can start combining:
5s+w = 100
s+f-w = w+8
5s + w = 100
6s - 2w = 8
16s = 208
f = 5s = 65
w = 100-65 = 35
So, in 30 years, the woman will be as old as her father is now(65), and the son will be 43, which is 8 years older than she is now.
math - Anonymous, Thursday, October 13, 2011 at 6:15pm
The number 34,459,425 is the product of several consecutive positive odd numbers. What is the greatest of these numbers?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- algebra - The combined age of a father and his two sons is 50 years. Four years ...
- MATH - 1. A father is three times as old as his son. Five years ago the sum of ...
- Math - The sum of the ages of a father and his son is 62 years. 15 years ago, ...
- math - A father is now three times as old as his son, twelve years ago he was ...
- math - i never can do word problems....please help... i got 7 of them.....these ...
- 9th grade math word problems - i never can do word problems....please help... i ...
- math - A. A woman was 30 years old when her daughter was born.Her age is now 6 ...
- math - a woman is 4 times as old as the son. in 5 years time she will be 3 times...
- Kathie - In four years' time, a father will be three times as old as his son. ...
- Math - A MAN is now 3 times as old as his son. In 10 years time, the sum of ...