Posted by fifi on Monday, September 19, 2011 at 11:34am.
A rectangular play yard is to be constructed along the side of a house by erecting a fence on three sides, using house wall as the fourth wall. Find the demensions that produce the play yard of maximum area if 20 meters of fence is available for the project.
- math - Reiny, Monday, September 19, 2011 at 11:45am
Make a sketch,
let the width of the field be x,
let the length of the field be y
then y + 2x = 20 , (we need only one length)
y = 20-2x
area = xy
= -2x^2 + 20x
I don't know at what level of math-study you are.
If you know calculus, find
d(area)/dx = -4x + 20 = 0
x = 5 , then y = 10 for a max area of 50
If you don't know calculus, complete the square of the quadratic function
A = -2x^2 + 20x
= -2(x^2 - 10x + 25 - 25 )
= -2((x-5)^2 - 25)
= -2(x-5)^2 + 50
vertex is (5,50)
so the max area is 50 when x = 5 , as above
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus 1 - A family wants to fence a rectangular play area alongside the wall ...
- Calc 1 - An 8 foot tall fence seperates Larry's yard from Evan's yard.The fence ...
- calculus - a farmer wishes to fence off a rectangular plot of land, using an ...
- Calculus - A rectangular play area is to be fenced off in a person's yard and is...
- Math Calculus - Three sides of a fence and an existing wall form a rectangular ...
- AP Calculus - The management of a large store has 1600 feet of fencing to fence ...
- Math - Ernie wants to fence in a rectangular play yard for his two dogs. He has ...
- math - Kira has feet of fencing. She will use it to form three sides of a ...
- math - judy wants to fence the sides of the yard in front of her house . She ...
- calculus help - Farmer Brown wants to fence in a rectangular plot in a large ...