Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, September 18, 2011 at 8:06pm.
Legend has it that long ago a kind was very pleased with the game of chess that he decided to reward the inventor of the game Anna, with whatever she wanted. Anna asked for a resource instead of money. Specifically, she asked for one grain of wheat for the first square of a chessboard, two grains of wheat for the second square, four grains of wheat for the third square, and so on until the entire chess board was full. There are 64 squares on a chess board)
What would be an expression for the total amount of grain needed to fulfill Anna's request.
- Calculus - Reiny, Sunday, September 18, 2011 at 8:40pm
1+2+4+8+ ... + for 64 terms
a GS, where a=1, r=2 and n=64
sum(64) = 1(2^64 - 1)/(2-1)
= 2^64 - 1
notice for this series
sum(2) = 3 = 2^2 - 1
sum(3) = 7 = 2^3 - 1
sum(4) = 15 = 2^4 - 1
sum(64) = 2^64 - 1
- Calculus - Damon, Sunday, September 18, 2011 at 8:43pm
2^0 = 1
2^1 = 2
2^2 = 4
2^3 = 8
say you had three squares. labeled 1, 2 and 3
the first square has 2^0 = 1
the second square has 2^1 = 2
the third square has 2^2 = 4
now go on to 64 th square has 2^63
now 2^63 = approximately 9.33 * 10^18
- Oh, sorry - Damon, Sunday, September 18, 2011 at 8:45pm
I gave you the amount on the last square. Use Reiny's system.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Anna and bob play a game in which Anna begins by rolling a fair dice, ...
- Math/Probability - Anna and bob play a game in which Anna begins by rolling a ...
- Physics - Bob and Bob Jr. stand at open doorways at opposite ends of an airplane...
- physics - Bob and Bob Jr. stand at open doorways at opposite ends of an airplane...
- spanish - I'm trying to say: at the party, Anna and her father argued about ...
- math - Anna and Jamie were at track practive. The track is 2/5 kilometers around...
- math - write an inequality for each problem.Then solve the inequality. 1. You ...
- math - Anna starts the race 10m ahead of ping.ping runs at 20%faster tan anna`s ...
- math - Anna is twice as old as Julian.five years ago,eye was three times as old...
- Math - Joe and Anna collect football cards.The greatest common factor of the ...